Ft. Pickens Report & Photos 5/12/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Despite the grim weather predictions, the rain and wind stayed away. Our group found almost non-existent current, viz from 10 to 20ft, and water temps from 75 to 77 (depending on who's computer you asked). In addition to the usual denizens, we found two very large octopuses, a frogfish, a mating pair of banded tulips, two batfish, and, believe it or not, a seahorse. Barry and I swam right over the top of it only to have Larry zero in on it and call us back.

Sadly, we only brought enough tanks for a single dive (stupid weather predictions), so we drowned our sorrows over iced tea and sushi.

IMG_4236a.jpg

IMG_4238a.jpg

IMG_4242a.jpg

IMG_4247a.jpg

IMG_4261a.jpg

IMG_4263a.jpg

IMG_4275a.jpg

IMG_4277a.jpg

IMG_4286a.jpg

IMG_4291a.jpg

IMG_4292a.jpg

IMG_4299a.jpg

IMG_4297a.jpg

Nice critter finds! Thanks for sharing.

no octopii picS??? bummer!

They were both buried pretty deep inside their dens, one so deep I didn't even try taking a photo. I did try on the other, but the results were poor. (okay, so ALL of the results were poor, but this is Pickens, you have to expect challenging photography conditions)

IMG_4272a.jpg

Would you say that vis at Ft. Pickens is generally less than at the Destin and St. Andrews jetties? I'm curious, because I have never been to Ft. Pickens although I have been to Destin numerous times and St. Andrews a few times. I have the impression that the vis at Ft. Pickens is usually less.

Back
Top Bottom