"All I want for my birthday is 80 cubic feet of 30/30" - My long weekend in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to meet katepnatl (Kate) in West Palm a year ago, and after we both went home, we stayed in touch through e-mails and Facebook messages and chatting. Kate, like everyone else within ear- or keyboard-shot, knew that I was morose because my spring Mexico cave diving trip had to be foregone, due to non-diving-related life issues. So she began to work on me . . . "Come down to Florida. You can stay with me, you can use my tanks." The arm twisting was gentle but relentless, and when I realized I could do the airfare on frequent flier miles, the deal was all but done. When my other friend James Garrett joined the choir, I put my head down and acknowledged I'd been vanquished -- I was going back to Florida again, and not only to Florida, but to High Springs.

You have to realize that my last trip to that area was in August of 2009, and the experience can be summed up in a statement I made at dinner: "I have no desire to dive caves in Florida again as long as I live." I had, of course, been seduced back to the Mill Pond, where I had to acknowledge that Hole in the Wall was gorgeous, but I was never going anywhere near Ginnie Springs again. Not me. Not ever.

But here I was, with the tickets booked, and an excited Kate sending daily FB messages, asking me if I had a preference in coffee, or in brands of sweetener, and whether I ate Granola bars. I had written to the lovely people I had met, and knew that my friend Ben Martinez might be in the area, and that Celia Evesque might come down to dive with us, and that PfcAJ might actually come dive with me, as he has been offering to do for years. And last but not at all least, my friend Mark Messersmith, who I learned to like enormously on our Red Sea trip together, thought he might be able to join us for dinner over the weekend. So I had many, many reasons to look forward to the trip, even if the cave diving was going to be at best boring and at worst, stressful and physically destructive. (Ginnie fingers.) Of course, I wasn't going to dive Ginnie, anyway.

I actually started to get excited about the trip. It was a rather deliciously naughty thing, to run off to Florida for three days; one just doesn't do that sort of thing very often. And it was the week of my birthday, so this was in a way my present to myself, which made it even tastier. I had wanted to get to know Kate better IRL. And in addition, another friend I had briefly met a couple of years earlier, Meredith, was going to be in the area and wanted to join us for diving as well. And we were going to dive Peacock, which I had never seen, and which was Lynne-friendly, being relatively shallow and low in flow. Of course, Peacock is training cave, so I didn't have a lot of expectations of being wowed by it, but as training cave, it should not be likely to clean my clock, either.

The day came, and I boarded the flight, having gotten up at 3 am after Peter packed most of my gear. The flight was spent alternately sleeping and fretting about what wasn't going to be there when I unpacked. (As it turned out, the only things I had forgotten were my wetnotes and my compass, and neither was a lethal error.) Kate met me at the Atlanta airport, and after swiftly loaded my stuff into her Escape (boy, is there a lot of room in the car when all the bulky stuff lives in Florida) we hit I-75 for the long trip south.

Except it wasn't. It is amazing how quickly five hours goes by, when you are trading stories. Kate turns out to have an endearing habit -- she can't finish a funny story, because she gets to giggling so hard she can't talk. We know many people in common, and there were lots of tales and gossip and reminiscences to share. Before we knew it, we were in North Central Florida, and lost.

We were staying at Jim Wyatt's rental house, and the directions were actually quite clear, once you had been there. But when you have two ladies of a certain age in a dark car, neither of whom can read anything without reading glasses, trying to peer at the display from a GPS unit that thinks North Central Florida (NCF) is as remote as the Maldives, you have a recipe for wrong turns, of which we made more than a few. But eventually, we were washboarding down a white limestone road to a dark house in the middle of what appeared to be nowhere in the middle of the night, but turned out to be a nice, rural housing development in the subsequent daylight. We let ourselves in, and were immediately completely floored by the size and the niceness of the lodging. The location is perfectly convenient neither to Peacock nor to Ginnie, but is workable for both, and the house is really very attractive and comfortable. There's a fireplace (which we of course did not need in May) with a stone wall above it. One bedroom has two queen beds, which came in handy one night (story to follow) and the other a king, and most importantly, the place had a washer and dryer. I have concluded, after way too many bad experiences, that no dive trip involving dry suits should ever be taken to somewhere that doesn't have a dryer. You think lights are the most unreliable dive gear in caves?

We repaired to our respective rooms and died, but only after planning the time for the morning. Kate's original plan involved getting up at o-dark-thirty so we could get fills and run to Peacock to get a dive in together before we met James for another dive, on the not unreasonable idea that I might not be comfortable diving with two people I hadn't dived with before at the same time. My idea was that if I tried to get up and go cave diving without making up the sleep deficit, that I was going to be the person they needed to worry about . . . so we ended up with a much more relaxed plan that involved going to the storage unit, picking up Kate's tanks, making sure they were filled, and meeting James at Peacock at the civilized hour of 11.

(Insert extremely humorous sequence involving two 5'4" women trying to figure out how to get two sets of 104s and two sets of 85s into the back of an Escape without any kind of ladder or step. Suffice it to say that we got it done, even if it wasn't pretty.)

539886_10150899822929216_710899215_9610035_999965705_n.jpg

Peacock was a very different Peacock from when we were there before. The last time, we went in February, and the day we flew in, they closed everything but Orange Grove. When we went to look at the main site, the river was pouring through the run into P3. We got one dive in at OG before they closed that, too. So I had never actually dived Peacock at all. James wanted to do P3, so we went down and looked at the entry, which appeared to present considerable challenges. I studied it and opined that I would do it if I had some help going in over the rocks, which had algae on them and looked slippery. (In fact, they weren't.) We decided that James would suit up but not gear up, help the two of us into the water, and go back for his gear, and that strategy worked beautifully.

P3 has a lot of decaying vegetation, and with the water level as low as it is, we were thrashing through it, so by the time we were doing gear checks, it smelled as though we were doing them in a sewer. And it was challenging to try to swim to the very small open water basin without getting one's fins completely wound in stems, and when I tried checking both regulators, I put one in my mouth FULL of duckweed. That stuff tastes vile!

When we finally reached the "pond", we dropped to do drills, in a space about the size of two mobile home bathtubs. We managed a round of S-drills, but I won't say we left the slope behind us undisturbed. But I think we all went into the cave confident, at least, that if somebody needed gas, so long as the cave wasn't filled with duckweed, things were going to go okay.

P3 reminded me of a slightly smaller Naharon, without decorations. The walls were dark and the floor was dark, and the water was somewhat hazy, and the dive was a bit spooky. I was VERY glad we had James with us, because I don't think I would have found the main line by myself at all. The passage, at the beginning, was large enough to meet my criteria for my "bull in a china shop" dive, which is my perception of my first cave dive on every trip, whether to Florida or Mexico. James had briefed us that, a fair way up the line, we would reach a "squeeze", where we WOULD scrape our bellies, but it would be okay because the bottom was sand. I kept waiting to reach that point, but we got about half an hour up the line, and James turned to me and made a signal I didn't understand . . . but the closest I could come was "turn the dive", so that was the signal I gave him back, and he acceded. Turned out he was saying "switch", with the idea being that he would put me and Kate in front, so we could go through the section where the viz would drop, and he would deal with the worst of it. I had never seen a "switch" signal in the context of team order, so I didn't understand (and this would be relevant the following day, too). At any rate, it resulted in us turning the dive early, which is kind of a shame, in light of what we figured out about time after we got out.

James had told us that there was a jump to the left (as you go in) into a beautiful passage called the Blue Water tunnel, but that he and buddies had searched for it, and ended up in all kinds of small, silty cave. I mentally raised my eyebrows at this, because it's plainly marked on the map, but once we got in the cave and I saw how dark and hazy it was, it made a lot more sense. On the other hand, he had indicated a side passage we might take as a bit of an additional swim on the way out, and when I thought we were there, I asked him; turned out it was a bit further on, but when we jumped over there, it got small and silty very quickly. I am very paranoid about Florida sediments, after Rob Neto took us through the "silt out" passage in Twin, so I wasn't at all unhappy when James turned it, and we headed on out.

Once in the "pond", we surfaced, and covered in duckweed, debriefed the dive -- at which time I discovered I had inadvertently cut our penetration short by misunderstanding signals. But other than that, the dive had gone smoothly, and with the use of some wild arm-waving and carefully timed dunking, we had gotten rid of most of the leafy stuff by the time we got to shore (except for what was adorning Kate's ponytail. I'm so sorry I didn't get a picture of it!) James climbed out to go drop gear and come back and help, but Kate and I managed to pick our way carefully out of the water and up to the end of the little cut, where we sat and awaited succor.

559587_10150899823754216_710899215_9610037_1418172874_n.jpg

Once back at the benches, we prepared to swap tanks, but of course, more than a little chatting had to take place, and by the time we were getting ready to gear up again, Kate discovered it was almost four o'clock -- way too late to start a second dive at Peacock. So, to everyone's mild disappointment, we decided the better part of valor was repairing to the lodging, cleaning up, and preparing for dinner at the Great Outdoors. This was to be quite a party, because the three of us were being met by AJ and two friends, as well as my friend Celia and two friends of hers. As always, diving is quintessentially social, and I was looking forward to a happy meal of good food and good stories, which is precisely what we had.

(Part 2 to come)

Last edited:
Thanks for the trip report...very well written..I felt like I was there. Actually, I almost was, having been at Ginnie and the Great Outdoors last week.

Kate is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Glad you were able to catch up with her!

Part 2: I had been to the Great Outdoors before, and thought the food was pretty good, but I had never been in the bar. Since we were early for our table reservation, that's where we killed some time, and I was enchanted with the place. The walls are brick, and decorated not only with gallery prints of great cave diving photographs, but with CAVE DIVING GEAR! Where else in the world can you sip a Sauvignon Blanc under a complete Halcyon doubles rig? (They are egalitarian; the rig on the next wall was Dive Rite.) As we sat and talked, the party grew -- to eleven people, if I remember right, by the time we were actually seated. We got a lovely long table outside, and I do so enjoy reveling in a warm climate, eating dinner outdoors in a T-shirt. I may have paid for it, though; at some point in the trip, something chewed me into small pieces, and whatever it was was not your garden-variety mosquito, because the bites all open up and weep, in addition to itching.

At any rate, we had a lovely meal, and afterwards, Kate and AJ and I stood on the sidewalk and continued to talk. We eventually learned that AJ had planned to drive all the way back to Orlando, but starting that at midnight seemed foolish when we had an empty bed in our lodging, so we convinced him to do a few hours of sleeping before hitting the road. I did explain, the following day, that I am not the kind of woman who normally invites a man she's known only a few hours to share her room . . .

Next day was to be P1, and I was really excited about the day. Not only was I going to see new cave, but we were to be joined by Mark Messersmith and my dear friend Ben Martinez, and Ben was going to bring his CAMERA! Ben has been shooting some of the most beautiful cave pictures I've seen done by anyone, but he hasn't been willing to go through the hassle of bringing his huge camera setup to Mexico on our trips together. But he wanted to take pictures of Peacock because, as he says, everyone dives it and then reports "We did P1 to the crossover tunnel and then jumped to the . . . " and nobody ever describes the CAVE. Mark had promised almost five years ago that he would dive with me if I ever came to Florida, because I defended him in a report written by someone disenchanted with his Fundies class, so I was finally going to collect on that. And I had gotten to know Mark in the Red Sea last year, and liked him enormously. What a great day I had ahead of me, even if it was just in "training cave".

So we met up at Peacock, and formed teams and made a plan. I was going to dive with Ben, because both of us were in 85s, and Mark would dive with Kate, in 104s. That meant Kate could actually USE her thirds, instead of dissimilar tank matching, which turned out to be nice. Ben had brought his slave strobes, which, unlike the ones Danny Riordan uses, are hand-carried. He had one for each of us, and looking at the pictures, it was well worth carrying them.

The water is so low right now that one giant strides off the bottom step into the basin. Luckily, there is a small secondary stair one can use to get out -- otherwise, I have no idea how it would be managed. We went through our checks and Kate started down. The entrance to the cave is actually fairly small, and is an angled hole. Looking at Ben's picture of it, it looks like it goes straight down, but looking at his photo from the cavern zone, you can see the angle.

560661_3956071626957_1435216985_33501598_1113118391_n.jpg

Once you are through the entry, the cave opens up, and it really OPENS. I had no idea at all how beautiful it was, even having seen a lot of pictures over the years. It's solution tube, so the ceilings are rounded and often multiple, creating a sense of archways. The walls are sculpted both in gross and in fine, with frozen waves of stone which are almost faceted. I'm sure there would have been fossils to admire in the rock, if I had been able to stop myself from admiring the scale and shape of the passage.

550796_3956071186946_1435216985_33501597_403943522_n.jpg

Further on, the cave becomes more of a huge fissure, and the passage is tall and almost triangular in cross-section. As I was admiring this change, suddenly, Kate made an abrupt left . . . and disappeared! The line there runs through a beautiful window between two tunnel branches, and it was great fun to assume the "Superman position" and glide through it.

It wasn't much further to the end of the line at Olsen, where Kate tied off a spool and we surfaced. I had a delighted grin on my face, and the first thing I said was, "Why didn't anybody TELL me this place was gorgeous?" Training cave? I know training cave, and Peacock, YOU are no training cave!

540659_3956068946890_1435216985_33501593_906906024_n.jpg

While enjoying the peace of the sinkhole, we reorganized diver order for the exit. Ben wanted me and Kate to swim together, so he could get some photos of the two of us. Kate was leading out, and I was behind her. Now, you have to realize that virtually everything Danny Riordan taught me is burned into my nervous system permanently, and one thing Danny is adamant about is that one MUST exit faster than one goes in. He teaches that you do your sightseeing on the way in, and your one task once the dive has turned is to get out . . . We are to take "snapshots" of the cave on the way in, and match times on the way out, and make sure we are reaching those spots earlier than would be predicted by a mirror-image swim. Kate had set a very slow pace going in (Mark said other people swim, Kate floats fast) which was fine with me -- but she was doing the same thing on the way out, and I began to fret. After about ten minutes, I swam up next to her and made the "swim" signal, with the wiggling fingers. She looked at me in confusion, so I repeated it, and dropped back. No change. Five minutes later, I swam up again, gave the same signal and accompanied it with an emphatic "that way!" Which, of course, was the direction we WERE swimming, so the whole message remained obscure. A couple of minutes later, I had an inspiration, and swam up and said, "You -- number 2. I'M number 1!" This was clear, and I was able to set the pace I wanted for the rest of the exit. When we got out, I explained what was going on to Mark, who scratched his head and said he didn't teach that, but only that you had to go out at least as fast as you went in. I know my friend Rob teaches to do the sightseeing on the way out, on the not unreasonable theory that the closer you get to the entry, the bigger your gas reserves bulk on your back. But I absorbed the "faster exit" idea in the crucible that was Cave 1, and I would imagine I'll never completely get rid of it :)

Once we were up at the cars, we had a decision to make. Mark and Ben did not have time for a second dive, but did have time for lunch; Kate and I had gas and time for a second dive, but it would mean saying goodbye to my friends. Kate was also sopping wet (which she was all weekend, poor thing) so I told her I'd rather get to lunch with Ben and Mark than dive again, and that's what we did. Barbecue sandwiches at the Luraville Country Store aren't half bad, especially when washed down with sweet tea. If I lived in the South, I'd weigh 300 pounds and have no teeth -- I can't resist sweet tea, even though I know how much sugar is in it.

those guys down there teach some strange things.

I'm so glad you enjoyed this trip better than the last one :)

there is so much more to see here

That evening, we hit Kazbor's for dinner, which was my cognitive dissonance experience with High Springs culture. The waitress asked for our drink requests, and I asked if they had any dark beer. After being offered Stella Artois, I realized that I was dealing with a Budweiser level of sophistication, so I requested white wine. Sauvignon Blanc was also beyond the waitress, who went to confer with the bartender, and came back and managed to say Pinot Grigio well enough that I recognized what it was, and ordered it :) We eventually got food and drink sorted, and four female cave divers sat down to eat and talk . . . well, cave diving -- what else? It was Kate and me, and James Garrett's buddy Stacy, and a gal named Meredith who I had met, but not dived with, a couple of years earlier on the Big Island. Mer was going to join me and Kate at Ginnie Springs the next morning. Yes, I did say Ginnie; I'm not at all sure how it happened, but I'd been talked into going there again. Kate had offered up a set of 104s with 30/30 in them, and I accepted, on the condition that somebody ELSE take the tanks and from the water for me. I was dubious about diving them, as the biggest tanks I'd ever hoisted were 95s, and they were beasts. I'd also been helping get Kate's 104s in and out of the car, and THEY were beasts, too.

So the morning found me once again at Ginnie, wondering exactly how this happened. The good news was that it was the last dive of the trip, so I could nurse my torn-up hands on the plane on the way home. And we were only doing one dive, so the CO2 headache and nausea wouldn't really impact loading the car and hitting the road to Atlanta. Meredith was going to run the line, and we were going in through the Eye, so we could deco out in the little alcove on the right on the way out, which I like. The plan was to "mosey" in through the Gallery, and if we got that far, to take the Hill 400 line.

I really don't know what it was. Whether the flow is about half normal, or whether I've gotten better, or whether the Dive Rite fins really do give me a ton more power, or whether helium is magic; but the simple fact is that this was the best dive I'd ever done in Ginnie. I could swim most of the entry, except for the little flat bit with the big rocks in the bottom (still haven't figured out how that is best done). I swam the vast majority of the gallery, despite being exactly where my memory tells me I was when I was there before. I wouldn't say we moseyed, either! I like the Gallery, and always wish we spent more time there. The tall, narrow hallway, with the fluted sides in their bold gold and black colors, always delight me, when I have a moment to stop panting and look around. This time, swimming, I saw a great deal more.

It seemed like no time until we were through the Lips, and the Keyhole, and to the Park Bench. Meredith put in the jump, and we headed up the Hill 400 line. After the first little bit, the flow dropped to almost nothing, and I was able to swim in a relaxed fashion, and look at the cave. There's a warren of parallel and branching passages back there! And I don't understand arrows in Florida -- some of them are pure distance markers, some of them are jumps, but a lot of jumps don't have arrows at all. I would peer into the darkness of a side tunnel and see line in there, and at least one of those lines comes quite close to the mainline, but isn't marked. And people say navigation is key in Mexico!

One of the things I have always thought about in Ginnie is the sheer power of water. Both the mainline tunnel, as far as I've seen it, and this side passage, have the same conformation. The top is a rounded tube, and about two thirds of the way down the wall, a shelf protrudes. The shelf is undermined, and then the walls curve inward until they almost meet. The very bottom of the passage is a shallow band of silt, often with waves in it like the waves you see in sand as you approach the shore. It's all a testimonial to the sheer power of water -- you can see it in the sculping of the walls and the sharp edge of the shelf, and in the washed appearance of the floor. I have stolen the following photograph from a European diver's website, because it shows what I am talking about so well:

img_6661.jpg

I will say that I was very much struck with how much clearer my head was on the 30/30, than it had ever been on Nitrox in this cave. I have much clearer memories of what the cave looks like, and where we went and what we did. I will never dive there without it again.

To my amazement, at 35 minutes, I turned the dive . . . on GAS. I NEVER turn dives on gas, except when I dive with Ben. But then, I've never done a cave dive before with two other 5'4" women!

Floating out of Ginnie is always fun, and I love being squirted out of the lips, and then doing the sideways slide, like a skidding race car. We drifted out through the Gallery, watching some unfortunate souls who were trying to enter by swimming along the FLOOR, and we picked up our deco bottles at the sign and headed out. We really didn't have much deco obligation, if any, but Meredith had said she was a deco weenie, so we did what we had planned, even though our dive time was about ten minutes shorter than we had thought we would do. I didn't mind at all; being out of the flow, and warm, and relaxed, I was in no hurry to be out of the water. At the end, we came up over the edge of the Eye to one of my very favorite things about Ginnie, which is the Lawrence Welk champagne bubble show, as the exhaust gas from the divers in the cave percolates up through the limestone and into the open water. With the little perch, the aquatic plants, and the bubbles, it's like being in a huge aquarium. I enjoy the swim up the spring run, too, with the clear water, and the divers swimming (or scootering) by on their way to the entrance. All too soon, we were taking off our fins, and I got to the bottom of the stairway . . . and by gum, I walked those 104s up to the bench all by myself!

Ginnie didn't defeat me this time. My fingers aren't raw, I didn't have a headache, I didn't feel incompetent, and I enjoyed the cave. Thank you to Meredith and Kate, for making me go back there and conquer demons!

149791_10150893946899216_710899215_9594999_711765162_n.jpg

I really don't know what it was. Whether the flow is about half normal, or whether I've gotten better, or whether the Dive Rite fins really do give me a ton more power, or whether helium is magic; but the simple fact is that this was the best dive I'd ever done in Ginnie.
I'm fairly confident the flow isn't that far down since your last class. I scootered it last Friday and didn't notice any change in time it took to get to the insulation rooms jump from any other dive there. In my opinion you're a lot better diver than you often credit yourself for-- maybe because you're a perfectionist. I found your apology for being 15 degrees out of trim on our dive somewhat funny, especially given that neither Kate nor myself even noticed. Using 30/30 and being completely sober in Ginnie for the first time, a team that had your back, as well as not being physically exhausted before the dive from carrying tanks that are too heavy or forcing too many dives each day, just results in a better performance.

Anyways, thanks for letting me join you and Kate for P3. I love showing people caves they've never been in, and it was great to get to catch up with you in a friendly environment to me. Sure beats trying to gear up on some rocking boat with loud engines drowning out the conversation. I was hoping so badly to read your review of Ginnie as the best dive you've ever done there, and knew Mer would make it happen!

PS, my last 4 dive buddies have all been female, and all GUE trained... you do have peers in the sport :wink:

I'm envious, Lynne ... on many levels.

One comment ...

I really don't know what it was. Whether the flow is about half normal, or whether I've gotten better, or whether the Dive Rite fins really do give me a ton more power, or whether helium is magic; but the simple fact is that this was the best dive I'd ever done in Ginnie.

I wonder if it wasn't, perhaps, at least partly due to just being able to relax with friends, rather than trying to meet the goals of a class.

Looking forward to hearing more about this trip in person ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 09:41 AM ----------

In my opinion you're a lot better diver than you often credit yourself for-- maybe because you're a perfectionist.

... imagine that ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wonder if it wasn't, perhaps, at least partly due to just being able to relax with friends, rather than trying to meet the goals of a class.

I'm sure not having David breathing down my back helped :) But actually, the majority of my dives at Ginnie haven't been class dives. I have just struggled terribly in the flow, and scraped my fingers on the rock, and ended up CO2 toxic and feeling horrible. None of that happened this time.

I'm sure not having David breathing down my back helped :) But actually, the majority of my dives at Ginnie haven't been class dives. I have just struggled terribly in the flow, and scraped my fingers on the rock, and ended up CO2 toxic and feeling horrible. None of that happened this time.

Maybe it's like James said ... you're just a way better diver now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
Great writeup, although I dont think I would ever go to florida for only three dives.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom