Aquarena "Deconstruction" Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish

Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish Finish

Agreed, one of the best dive sites in Texas and I for one would love to have it back!

Does anyone know if they are still thinking it will be completed soon or has the issue with the subs pushed them back a ways?

The staff has been remarkably tight lipped regarding the scheduled completion date. My best guess is that the subs will be out of the water late this month through the first half of June. With a bit of luck, we may be back in the water by late July or August.

I found it very reassuring that Luke stated Aquarena has every intention of maintaining the DFS program after the deconstruction.

Thanks for the reply Driftwood. Sounds like a great program.

I have this secret fear that the diving for science program won't come back as it was. I sure do miss doing volunteer work there. Still, the place did need a make-over.

I drove by there a while back to look at some of the new construction and I couldn't figure out where the area would be for the divers. Does anyone know where we will be prepping our gear, entry/exit points and where the compressor will be located?

It won't come back as it was. All the facilities we used have been deconstructed (demolished). The last time I had a conversation with Aaron was in September and plans were up in the air. As I have stated in other threads on the subject, the staff views the DFS program as an asset.

I fully expect AC to maintain a compressor on site and you have two good exit points on the lake, the Training Area and Deep Hole boat ramp. A paved road will have to be maintained in order to get a truck to the southwest end of the peninsula to off load plants from the cutter boat. I can't see them moving that operation close to the headwaters (create an eyesore in front of the hotel?) or further into the slough (the golf course and nature walk are in the way).

The biggest question is what will happen with dive shops using the lake for training. All the infrastructure is gone and I don't think they are going to tolerate twenty to thirty students/instructors creating a mud hole every weekend where there used to be a hard surface and tables.

Last edited:
I was just wondering about this very topic. I drive by aquarena on I35 pretty frequently but have not had a chance to go in and check the progress. I suspect the DFS program will continue but the OW classes will not....I have mixed feelings about that because I was DMing for some of those classes, which was fun, but a busy saturday with 50+ rototillers....oops I mean dedicated OW students in the training area was getting a little out of hand.

My guess is that there will be a pretty fair attrition for volunteer divers due to the closure, and there will be plenty to do.

Back
Top Bottom