Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone has issues with their AC adapter no charging their computer. The computer will charge fine connected to the USB, connected to AC nothing, and yes it's plugged in correctly. I think the piece that connects to the computer may be broken, how do I go about getting replacement.

Tried again on another computer by loading the Atomic software on it but did not work. Still just a blank screen. Can anyone forward a copy of how to open the battery compartment so I can pull it out to see if it will reset?

---------- Post added May 18th, 2012 at 08:48 PM ----------

Ron to the rescue again. Had to pull the battery compartment cover and pull then replace the battery to reset. Then had to use a different computer to do the update even though it was also running windows 7, strange but it worked. Ron thanks again!

Spiney, I am having the same issue. I bought the computer went for a couple of test dives in the pool and was able to download the dives. Plugged in my computer to update it (didn't realize at the time 12 to 13 wasn't major) and now my Cobalt is bricked. I am leaving tommorow to go to St. Thomas, so I am trying to fix this ASAP. I am running Windows 7 and this is the first time I have had the software installed, etc. When I plug it into my computer via USB it doesn't even detect it. (Can't go into device manager and clear the driver as some have suggested.) What can I do. I know some people say remove the battery, could I get those instructions please? I appreciate all the help in advance. I know this has all been asked a few times,and I read about 30 pages of posts, but didn't ever see the method for removing battery, etc.

CPICKLER, private message me with your email address and I will forward you what Ron sent me. It worked for me and it sounds like you have the same issue. You may want to just pull and replace the battery (same battery) and hope that resets to the 1.12 version like mine did then leave it alone till you have more time and another computer.

(Sorry, just stopped by thread now) It seems that Win7 SP1 has an issue with the current SW and flashing, from what I can see it's performing the flash but it's not loading the first small boot rom correctly; when this happens you must remove the battery and do a direct flash and even that has been hit and miss on my test Win7 instances... So far I have tested 2x XP instances and had flawless results, so [opinion] what I would recommend for anyone at the moment is that if you plan on flashing, do it on an XP (or Mac) box if you have one handy... This isn't to say that Win7 -will- brick your unit at flash time, but I've done some repeated tests on my setup and I have 2x Win7 (one physical, one virtual) that seem to be hit and miss; if I leave the battery out of the unit and try it repeatedly, eventually the Win7 box seems to pull it off, but my XP boxes do it flawless... My only guess so far is that it's how Win7 handles wait/interrupts when writing to flash...

I haven't seen formal instructions on how to remove the battery compartment and reseal, but I know Ron has them handy. :)

Trying to download the drivers and get DiveLog 5 working for the cobalt is way to hard. I can't get it to work no matter what I do. Why doesn't Atomic have their own software or drivers?

Trying to download the drivers and get DiveLog 5 working for the cobalt is way to hard. I can't get it to work no matter what I do. Why doesn't Atomic have their own software or drivers?

They do. You can download Atomic's software here: Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software It was taken down for a while as drivers were being updated. Getting drivers to work on all flavors of Windows and all possible hardware configurations turned out to be quite difficult, as you can see from Terry's post above, though most of the problems are with updating firmware.

Diving Log 5 does much more when it comes to dive logging, but you still need Atomic's software to update firmware on the Cobalt.

I don't know what problem you are having installing Diving Log 5, but the developer is responsive to support requests.

Ron

Hi Ron,

How come the Cobalt doesn't record Remaining Bottom Time? That is one of things I liked to see in the profile in my Oceanic/Sherwood logs.

Also Alberto of DivePAL says Atomic isn't cooperating with him for their logging software, any info on that?

Hi Ron,

How come the Cobalt doesn't record Remaining Bottom Time? That is one of things I liked to see in the profile in my Oceanic/Sherwood logs.

Also Alberto of DivePAL says Atomic isn't cooperating with him for their logging software, any info on that?

When you say remaining bottom time, do you mean no deco time remaining, or gas time remaining?

The Cobalt records the no deco time remaining and displays it in the onboard log with each segment, you can see it as you scroll through the dive, it's labeled NDT on the bottom right. How or whether this displays in desktop computer logging software is up to the individual developer.

For gas time remaining, this is something that can easily be calculated from the stored data (current depth, breathing rate, and tank pressure, minus the safety reserve) that is downloaded with the dive. We wouldn't actually store it with the dive data as it is a calculated value and it wouldn't be an efficient use of the dive log memory space. We don't display gas time remaining with each segment in the onboard log just because of limited room on the Cobalt's screen, though we do show the tank pressure with each segment recorded so you can see how it drops through the dive. Again, it's up to the desktop developer if they show gas time remaining as you scroll through the dive.

Just checking I see that Dive Log Manager (Mac, Dive Log Manager) does display "RBT", which in their software is no-deco time remaining, not gas time remaining.

I was not aware that DivePAL had dive logging software that that downloaded from dive computers- Atomic has been fully supportive of third party developers of dive log software, and of open source driver development through libdivecomputer libdivecomputer, a library for communication with various dive computers.. If there is some information or support needed, I'd be happy to provide what I can. If someone dropped the ball somewhere it's probably just from being very busy, or crossed wires. They approached us just after the Cobalt came out about preparing an online class and instructional videos, etc. as a paid service, which Atomic chose not to do. The Cobalt's interface is designed to be very easy to understand without big manuals or classes, and users have borne this out. I haven't been asked about dive logging software.

Ron

Last edited:
.......I was not aware that DivePAL had dive logging software that that downloaded from dive computers.....
"divePAL" is the name of our multi-platform (currently Windows and iPad .... Mac, iPhone and Android soon) dive planner, analyzer and logger.
divePAL Basic is free.

We are adding to divePAL the capability to download logs for all the dive computers (40 right now) for which we have simulators integrated in eDiving and iDiveComputer.
To be more clear .... because of the specific way we have structured divePAL (that allows a user to see his/her model-specific dive computer in action), we will not support in divePAL dive computers for which we do not have a simulators.

We are familiar with libdivecomputer to which we are contributing too.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom