Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you say remaining bottom time, do you mean no deco time remaining, or gas time remaining?

The Cobalt records the no deco time remaining and displays it in the onboard log with each segment, you can see it as you scroll through the dive, it's labeled NDT on the bottom right. How or whether this displays in desktop computer logging software is up to the individual developer.

For gas time remaining, this is something that can easily be calculated from the stored data (current depth, breathing rate, and tank pressure, minus the safety reserve) that is downloaded with the dive. We wouldn't actually store it with the dive data as it is a calculated value and it wouldn't be an efficient use of the dive log memory space. We don't display gas time remaining with each segment in the onboard log just because of limited room on the Cobalt's screen, though we do show the tank pressure with each segment recorded so you can see how it drops through the dive. Again, it's up to the desktop developer if they show gas time remaining as you scroll through the dive.

Just checking I see that Dive Log Manager (Mac, Dive Log Manager) does display "RBT", which in their software is no-deco time remaining, not gas time remaining.

I was not aware that DivePAL had dive logging software that that downloaded from dive computers- Atomic has been fully supportive of third party developers of dive log software, and of open source driver development through libdivecomputer libdivecomputer, a library for communication with various dive computers.. If there is some information or support needed, I'd be happy to provide what I can. If someone dropped the ball somewhere it's probably just from being very busy, or crossed wires. They approached us just after the Cobalt came out about preparing an online class and instructional videos, etc. as a paid service, which Atomic chose not to do. The Cobalt's interface is designed to be very easy to understand without big manuals or classes, and users have borne this out. I haven't been asked about dive logging software.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I see NDT now on the onboard Cobalt log. I've never bothered looking at the log on the Cobalt. I'm such a fan of computer logs I've always just immediately downloaded my dives and looked at the profile on my PC. I'm using Divelog 5.0 and NDT doesn't seem to import to that. Sven told me he didn't think it was being recorded but obviously it is if it's in the onboard Cobalt log.

Thanks Ron, I see NDT now on the onboard Cobalt log. I've never bothered looking at the log on the Cobalt. I'm such a fan of computer logs I've always just immediately downloaded my dives and looked at the profile on my PC. I'm using Divelog 5.0 and NDT doesn't seem to import to that. Sven told me he didn't think it was being recorded but obviously it is if it's in the onboard Cobalt log.

Yes, the no-deco time remaining is stored with each dive segment. If Sven has a question about it, he can contact us. At one point (pre-production) we had a % saturation value in that slot, but NDT ultimately seemed more useful.

Ron

They do. You can download Atomic's software here: Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software It was taken down for a while as drivers were being updated. Getting drivers to work on all flavors of Windows and all possible hardware configurations turned out to be quite difficult, as you can see from Terry's post above, though most of the problems are with updating firmware.

Diving Log 5 does much more when it comes to dive logging, but you still need Atomic's software to update firmware on the Cobalt.

I don't know what problem you are having installing Diving Log 5, but the developer is responsive to support requests.

Ron

Dive log 5 works great with the Atomic Aquatics driver thanks! I couldn't get that other funky driver file to work.

I just purchased the Atomic Cobalt to replace my old Aeris Atmos AI. On this thread I have seen previous discussion regarding attachment to the BCD using the top slot. Upon examining my Cobalt, I see that there is a connector loop attachment on the hose. Has anyone used this as the BCD attachment? Have there been any issues using this loop as the attachment point?

scuba1968:
I just purchased the Atomic Cobalt to replace my old Aeris Atmos AI. On this thread I have seen previous discussion regarding attachment to the BCD using the top slot. Upon examining my Cobalt, I see that there is a connector loop attachment on the hose. Has anyone used this as the BCD attachment? Have there been any issues using this loop at the attachment point?

When I tried that the loop thing on the hose it moved around too much such that the Cobalt did not stay in exactly the same place over the dive, or dive to dive. I now use the top slot and it stays exactly in one spot.

Last edited:
When I tried that the loop thing on the hose moved around top much such that the Cobalt did not stay in exactly the same place over the dive or dive to dive. I now use the top slot and it stays exactly in one spot.

I was suspecting that it might permit too much movement. The manual advises against having any metal around the electronic compass. Did you use a metal split ring or some form of fabric strap?

scuba1968:
I was suspecting that it might permit too much movement. The manual advises against having any metal around the electronic compass. Did you use a metal split ring or some form of fabric strap?

I use a metal split ring. I haven't really used the compass, still use my standard wrist mount.

I tried using the loop on the hose at first. I couldn't get it to stay close to the computer, so the computer kept hanging all over the place. I switched to a bolt snap tied onto the slot at the top of the computer.

I cut the hose loop off because it's worse than useless (too much movement, and puts stress on a swivel HP connection), and went to the following two pieces to attach the Cobalt to my right shoulder (hose crosses my chest, computer easily visable and buttons pushable without unclipping):

QRBCS1 discounts on sale Cetecea Goes on the top slot of the Cobalt without stressing any one point on it, easy to adjust connection length, and goes on/off the Cobalt easily.

BCQR3 discounts on sale Cetecea Goes on the shoulder webbing, easy on/off, and nice and short.

Since doing more BP&W diving, I'm currently trying a small bolt snap tied on, but think I'm going to have to come up with a webbing/cave line/bolt snap combo somehow...

Relatedly, does anyone know if Atomic offers the Cobalt hoses in custom lengths? The standard hose is too long for putting the console on the left hip D ring.

Relatedly, does anyone know if Atomic offers the Cobalt hoses in custom lengths? The standard hose is too long for putting the console on the left hip D ring.
The plan was to offer both a shorter and longer than standard length. It would probably be a special order from a LDS.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom