Analog depth gauge with both imperial & metric markings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnfalman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OMS has an analog pressure gauge that has both imperial & metric readouts. I was wondering if there's a depth gauge with the same markings?

I've only seen that in some old capillary gauges. I think SOS made one that was marketed by ScubaPro back in the Sixties.

I am entertaining the idea of doing some dive vacations, especially in Europe. Naturally my computer has both units built in, but I'm thinking of bringing analog gauges for backup for just in case the computer were to fail. I can get the OMS pressure gauge that has both PSI & Barr.

I suppose I'll just bring my imperial depth gauge and when the captain/divemaster/site brief were to say that the depth is 50-meters then I would need to work out the conversion to feet and then go for it.

I suppose I'll just bring my imperial depth gauge and when the captain/divemaster/site brief were to say that the depth is 50-meters then I would need to work out the conversion to feet and then go for it.

Since metric makes so much more sense, it's easy to go backwards from metric to feet via ATMs. Just drop the 0. So 30m is 3 ATA of pressure from the saltwater, which is 100 feet.

I'm of the opinion that we should stop measuring depth in units of distance altogether and just measure it in pressure directly. I want a depth gauge that reads in bar!

Since metric makes so much more sense, it's easy to go backwards from metric to feet via ATMs. Just drop the 0. So 30m is 3 ATA of pressure from the saltwater, which is 100 feet.

I'm of the opinion that we should stop measuring depth in units of distance altogether and just measure it in pressure directly. I want a depth gauge that reads in bar!

Except that 30m is 4 ATA because you have to add the 1 ATA of sea level. :D

I am entertaining the idea of doing some dive vacations, especially in Europe. Naturally my computer has both units built in, but I'm thinking of bringing analog gauges for backup for just in case the computer were to fail. I can get the OMS pressure gauge that has both PSI & Barr.

Just like learning to converse in a second language efficiently, you've got to effectively comprehend & process your thought & speech in that language exclusively --no intermediate translating to English.

You've just gotta learn the Metric System . . .Period. And use only a dedicated analog SPG in Bar Units.

I've totally switched over to metric because it's easier to work with for pre-dive Gas Planning as well as on-the-fly Gas Consumption monitoring & calculations. . .

Read link below for some good tips on easy unit conversions if you have to use them for now. . .
View attachment BattlefieldCalculationsDeliaMilliron.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom