Atomic Venom Mask Leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll follow this a bit longer before I spend the money for the mask and the prescription.

Received my new mask today in the mail from Atomic. I inspected it thoroughly and found no date stamping anywhere; however, looks like it has a pretty solid seal where the frame meets the glass!

Looking forward to trying it out. Wish me luck!

Best of luck buddy!

If you still have problems, I will spray paint my spare one red for you.

Best of luck buddy!

If you still have problems, I will spray paint my spare one red for you.
I'm praying I don't have to call you Don and ask you to break out that can of red paint!:praying:

Received my new mask today in the mail from Atomic. I inspected it thoroughly and found no date stamping anywhere; however, looks like it has a pretty solid seal where the frame meets the glass!

Looking forward to trying it out. Wish me luck!
Just wanted to post an update. So far, I've completed 3 dives with the replacement mask I received directly from the manufacturer.

So far all is well and I'm happy I stuck with it, because after 25+ years of diving with many different masks, this is by far the best!

Hey everyone, i am very new to diving. I have only been on a couple dives and i love it. Anyway i have been renting all of my stuff (including my mask) and would like to buy a mask before my next dive. I found this guy who is giving advice on masks: NichePage | Niche | Freediving Mask
Anyway before i make the purchase i would like to know if this guy is giving good advice. BTW i do not want to spend to much money because like i said i am a beginner. I like the prices of the masks he recommends i just do not want it fall apart on me. Thanks

I just picked up one with a gray stripe. The atomic rep was in the store when I ordered it last weekend, if I'd known about the leaks I would have asked (kind of an impulse buy after trying on the demos she had and my Atomic Frameless is still going strong heading into it's 3rd year of abuse), the mask I received indicates 3/2012 on the nose pocket and looks to be solid but I suppose the only was to tell for sure will be a couple of dives...

I must say though, it is the most comfortable and firm sealing mask I have ever put on my face...

I just picked up one with a gray stripe. The atomic rep was in the store when I ordered it last weekend, if I'd known about the leaks I would have asked (kind of an impulse buy after trying on the demos she had and my Atomic Frameless is still going strong heading into it's 3rd year of abuse), the mask I received indicates 3/2012 on the nose pocket and looks to be solid but I suppose the only was to tell for sure will be a couple of dives...

I must say though, it is the most comfortable and firm sealing mask I have ever put on my face...

I don't think we've heard from anyone who has a mask with the new date stamps on it that has had any leaking issues with the mask, so I'm thinking you should be ok.

I'm also looking forward to your feedback regarding the clearness of the glass and the affect that has on your visibility underwater. I noticed a big difference after transitioning, but then again, I wasn't transitioning from another Atomic mask.

Good luck to you Bdsora, and keep us posted!

I don't think we've heard from anyone who has a mask with the new date stamps on it that has had any leaking issues with the mask, so I'm thinking you should be ok.

I'm also looking forward to your feedback regarding the clearness of the glass and the affect that has on your visibility underwater. I noticed a big difference after transitioning, but then again, I wasn't transitioning from another Atomic mask.

Good luck to you Bdsora, and keep us posted!

I wore it last night for about an hour while watching TV, after a few minutes I forgot I even had it on!

So I've got a couple dives in with the mask now, Including an inlet dive with 5ft or less viz. No issues with leakage. So it seems they're corrected the problem.
As far as clarity, the mask is amazing, I had no trouble finding fish, lost fishing lures, even a mussel encrusted laptop computer!
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/north-eastern-united-states/427050-found.html

It's hard to say if there's much of difference between the older atomic frame-less and the Venom as the improvement is likely not large as going from a typical cheap mask to one of them. They both have excellent color and clarity and perhaps the venom is a bit better there. I plan on continuing to use both moving forward. The Atomic Framless however has a slightly better field of view (on my face at least), and a less notice nose pocket (meaning completely out of my field of view when looking forward). However the Nose pocket on the Venom is more spacious and more comfortable. You couldn't go wrong with either mask. Though the venom is a bit steep in price!

Has anyone seen these issues with the Frameless masks? I've used the Frameless on 3 dives now and haven't had an issue, but a buddy of mine that works at a dove shop said they had Atomically coming back because of this issue, but he didn't mention which mask if was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom