CEBU - Macatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainbligh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

Will be headed to Cebu for a few weeks this summer and was wondering what anyone has experienced with the various outfits there; namely captain scotty, kon tiki, macatan dive etc etc.
Im looking to do dive often and maybe a course but that's not a priority. More interested in the feel of the place rather than a tourist factory (although I know thats where the bread and butter is)

Thanks

Hello All,

Im looking to do dive often and maybe a course but that's not a priority. More interested in the feel of the place rather than a tourist factory (although I know thats where the bread and butter is)

Thanks

I know local instructors if you are looking to take a course. No frills but experienced and knowledgeable of the local area.

If you want I can PM you their cell numbers so you can deal with them directly.

I can recommend Scotty's. They are associated with the Shangrila Hotel, and priced accordingly, but they ran a professional operation. The rental equipment looked good, they were set up for technical divers, and the boats were pretty small. I went out each day with just one or two other divers, and that was during a holiday weekend.

I can't recommend the diving, though. It was mediocre at best. Maybe other operations go to better sites.

If you are staying at the Shangrila, are not price sensitive, and are pretty lazy, then take advantage of the convenience of Scotty's on-site operation.

Thanks for the replies. In terms of the quality of diving which is better, Macatan or Pattaya?

I haven't dived Pattaya—nor will I. I would happily dive Mactan again, though it will never be a first choice for dive destination.

I have been to Thailand dozens of times, but never to Pattaya. It's not the most appealing destination (how about Phuket, Samui, Ko Tao, Krabi?). I'd rather stay in Bangkok and not dive.

Thanks for the replies. In terms of the quality of diving which is better, Macatan or Pattaya?

Having dived both.

Mactan is for sure better diving.

Even the scuba shop I dove with in Pattaya, after knowing I dive in the Philippines, apologized and warned me I would'nt see nearly anything around Pattaya compared to the Phils. But I needed to see for myself.

Thank you for all your replies. Will look at Macatan and maybe try one of the islands for a few days

Hello,

I got kontiki in mactan. It was great and the price was reasonable.

I was also surprised that mactan is a not bad place for diving.

good day!

Back
Top Bottom