Hi, newbie here...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seawulff

New
Reaction score
Got my PADI cert. last Spring. And only really did 3 tiny little dives in the Summer and Fall of last year. Looking forward to getting out and getting some good dives in though soon.

I got into the Scuba because I like metal detecting. Figured folks lose stuff all the time in the water, and it seems the turf is getting more and more crowded every year, so why not venture where few dectorists go?

I had most of my diving gear bought and ready to go for this year, but I lost my dive bag with a bunch of my gear in it. Not gonna set me back a lot, but still really sucks losing. As you all know this hobby isn't cheap. I'm not holding my breath that the bag will show up. That being said I was planning on purchasing a new Regulator, dive knife, compass, pony tank, and maybe a shorty suit this summer. And all the stuff that I lost in the bag now too.

Glad to be here and looking forward to learning lots of great information.

BTW, I swing a Fisher CZ-21 underwater detector for any other fellow dectectie buds out there.

Hey welcome, I'm new here as well. I'm actually still in the process of getting certified. I'm trying to get into the diving community and open up my network! (=

welcome, have you found any cool stuff yet?

Turns out my buddy had my dive bag. So all is good there.

Got out this morning for my first dive with the detector. Mostly just found junk, LOL. But that's fine it was a blast. I learned some things I have to work on for next time. Good finds are around the corner!

Tell me more about your CZ-21 underwater detector. I think you just sparked an idea.

Reguards,

Owen

Hi Owenfranklin,

I'm not sure where you do most of your diving, but right now I mostly dive fresh water. So the CZ was a good choice for me because it can discriminate out iron. Minelab Excal II is another good VLF (very low frequency) diving detector. My buddy swings that. There are other types of dectectors out there too that I know a lot of folks use in salt water, these are usually PI (pulse induction) detectors. With a PI you can't discriminate out iron, but generally you can go deeper and from what I've heard PI's do good in mineralized beaches (black sand).

My CZ goes pretty deep, I've dug targets at 8-10 inches down. The CZ comes with either a 8 or 10" coil. The 10" will cover more ground and probably give slightly more depth, but is probably a little bit more of a pain to swing when diving, that's why I went with the 8" coil. The coils aren't interchangeable on the CZ.

I think my buddy's Excal II he is able to change coils though, but right now he only has one coil.

You can take the CZ down to 250 feet, though I don't ever imagine I would need to go that deep. I have no plans in the immediate future to do decompression diving. But it is guaranteed to that depth.

One thing I'm having an issue with right now is the volume of the detector. Underwater I wish it was slightly louder. Sometimes I have a little trouble hearing everything as well as I should between the sounds of my breathing on my regulator it can be a little tough. But all an all I think it's an awesome detector so far. And I'm still getting accustomed to it.

If you have any more questions I'll try and answer them the best that I can.

Thanks for the information....this will have to go on my list of things to get!!! ....owen

Back
Top Bottom