Diver dies on the Dunderberg wreck Harbor Beach, MI Lake Huron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the start of the dive, sure. At the end of the dive, perhaps not. Can't fault the dive buddy for sending an unresponsive diver to the surface.

Yes I know it's an old thread.

I was wondering if there has been any update or accident analysis results. Maybe perhaps autopsy results??

I wouldn't make a blanket statement like this. This is a pretty shallow wreck. I would gladly blow off deco for one of my good dive buddies to get him into capable hands on the surface, then go back down and finish my deco. I'm not faulting the diver in question in any way (I wasn't there, don't know the details), but your odds of surviving an incident like this goes down dramatically if you get blown to the surface without an open airway. If you ascend with them and try to manage the airway they will have a better chance, and if you got bent as a result you can likely fix it. You can't fix a dead buddy. Would I do it for an insta-buddy? Maybe not. Would I do it for a good friend when the alternative is telling his wife and kids that he isn't coming home? Absolutely.

omg, scuba diving is a real dangerous sport, no lie
my prayer goes to the diver. RIP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom