m43 DS-TTL with YS-110a

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basileus

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All!
As I have no reply about my particular problem with DS-TTL on E-PT1, want to ask about support DS-TTL from 110a on any of m43 cameras using any housing.
Does someone, using YS-110a with Oly (or Pan), able to get TTL (SD-TTL) functionality?
Yes, camera(most of them) is(are) on the list, but I see a number of claims regarding this support in fact. And I see no “happy end”, only recommendations to use it in manual.
Posted here as I'm a PL1 user and Olympus Outlet is more representative :)

Thanks. To All.

While I am sure that the S&S YS-110a has worked out well for many the a was an upgrade from the 110 which did not work well with several cameras it was thought to work with. Several posters also had these same issues with the 110a and S&S quickly came out with the YS-01 and beyond.

You can find a post in the Panasonic section having issues with the same strobe. The problem may be with the strobe just not being designed for the more current cameras.

I use a ys-110a with my panasonic gf2, works great in ttl mode via a fiber optic cable.

And that's where the problem is, it works fine with some cameras and not so fine with others where as the YS-01 and onward seem to work well in TTL with just about everything.

Phil Rudin

And that's where the problem is, it works fine with some cameras and not so fine with others where as the YS-01 and onward seem to work well in TTL with just about everything.

Phil Rudin
Yes Phil - I bought a 110a without doing any research and when I went on the SnS site it stated that they did not support my E-520. However after some poncing around I found out that it only worked in full auto on the E-520. I have been using TTL on and off for the last 2 years but I am over it and going back to manual for control reasons and the bloody predictable results of TTL.

Thanks for all the work you do on this and wetpixel.

Phil Rudin
The only reason of my questions, as I mention in one of my post about my problem, is that I am living in a place with no Sea&Sea presence at all. I bought the flash in Hong Kong and have only HK warranty. And I am really not sure is it a non compatibility issue or device malfunctioning. With enough UW photo experience (since the era of film cameras) I see no problem to use this strobe in manual settings. Functionality declared by S&S for my camera is not working and I am disappointed a much.
Will be very happy if anyone can point me to adequate and technically educated person who can consult me in a technical aspects of a problem. I am radio engineer by one of my education, so can provide all possible technical details.

Thanks.

I would consider it a warranty issue. Understood that you only have an HK warranty, but you may want to figure out how to use it since panasonic and oly "share" much of their flash system. The only difference is that oly also includes wireless ttl through flash control, which is not compatible with the ys110a. If you have that enabled that could be your problem.

Who knows, they may be able to put a newer control board in it.

The way it works is your camera fires a series of escalating flashes to determine a exposure followed by a slight pause then a bright flash. The strobe has to repeat the quick flashes along with some logic to give the right brightness in the water. Then when your camera sends the real flash, the ttl system has to interpret that as well. Honestly it isn't a terribly complex setup, but if the timing is off or the pause isn't as long as it is waiting for or you are also sending wireless ttl the flash won't be able to interpret everything right.

tarjan,
of course, RC flash is off on the camera. And I am agreed that is a not a big deal (in general) to repeat (mimic) master strobe.
but on the other hand I've seen a number of claims from users with same setup.

Something I've noticed with the mirror less cameras and P&S - going into the menu to force the flash - the flash doesn't fire sometimes, as if the camera insists there's too much light. How it can do that UW bewilders me.

Hi!

I rarely use TTL with my E-PL3 and 110a. Works always although I prefer manual, as I have more control for the two flashes. But TTL works always, although I'd think that it tends to underexpose a bit. I set my flash to "always on", no Auto :)

BR
Zelko

Back
Top Bottom