Overcoming grief via SCUBA? My own thoughts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was no wound reopened. Just kinda surprised me. I am glad that someone finds it helpful. That was the whole point to begin with. That gives me great comfort. Thanks to both of you.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

When I lost my dad I was out of action for a week or so. He was just so wise and always had the RIGHT(winged :) ) thing to say. He never was into diving but when I was young he sat in the classes with me and encouraged me all the way through. I remember my dad best when I'm in the water, even if he was never with me in the water

Jim and others, thank you for writing about something that touches us all -death- in a clear, useful and non-sugar coated way. It seems we arenot very comfortablewith death and grieving, and your words are very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write them down.

...lastly the mere fact that we are underwater where gravity no longer matters, where we are able to just float and enjoy the feeling of being weightless, and where the water isolates us from the noise of the surface world, we are able to relax. And relax in ways that are not possible on the surface. For the diver there is a Zen-like quality to just being underwater. We become one with the environment and it allows us to process the thoughts that often race in our heads. It is underwater where life’s problems are often put into perspective and we see them for what they areour heads

Jim, I want to thank you for your post and your courage to share your love and loss. I am truly sorry for your loss. I have found that slowly time does heal - but we who have lost (spouses, siblings, parents, friends) know that the sting can still rear its ugly head at any time. Scuba really is a place that offers peace and freedom - that Zen like quality is hard to describe to non-divers and is such a part of the diving experience and like you I find it healing.

Just wanted to chime in here. I lost my mother 2 years ago. It was a horrible way that she had to degrade and die. I had so many things I wanted to tell her and never got to due to the dementia that she suffered. Only after learning about why we are all really here...to create...did I find some comfort in the loss. I eventually started to dream about her once the grief subsided. She met me and told me that grief puts a wall between spirit and the griever. She said it was good that I let go so quickly because she thought it so hard for any of us to comprehend how wonderful it was for her to pass over. She wanted release and she blamed herself for the condition she died from. She said she could have healed herself had she known consciously what to do while alive. She said it was all planned to die the way she did anyways and not to cry over it. She said we have been travelers together through many lifetimes and it was her time to leave me first.

I have not been sad about anyone's passing since. Death is a choice as is our birth. Religion has really failed us as a species and its time to move back to the truth so that anguish and pain are relieved such that people don't die due to sorrow of a lost love. I know we miss our loved one's terribly. Just thinking that I can never call my mother again is sad alone.

I'm going diving next week in Roatan and I intend on enjoying every moment and to savor the experience as I help to create it.

Peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom