Dive Caddy Review for Tech Diving- Picture Intensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice reviews- I have been curious about this product as I have a few warm water dive trips planned and don't want to check bags. I noticed that none of the local dive shops in the bay area in northern California carry the Dive Caddy in stock which is surprising considering that most folks travel international for dive trips. Does it fit a drysuit or thick 8mm wetsuit? Some places like Galapagos are far away cold water diving spots and would be useful to carry heavier gear.

Just got back from a great week diving in Bonaire with my Dive Caddy 2. If you are planning on bringing photography equipment this bag will not help you. I packed my dive caddy with a back plate and wing, 3mm full wetsuit, Tusa split fins, regulator, backup lights, and mask in the main sections and minimal clothing in in the spider pack (which I modified with added clips). i had trouble finding space for sandals and my Bare dive boots. I put toiletries and a few odds and ends in the turtle pack. I struggled to close the bag and keep everything tight and compressed, and had doubts that American Airlines was going to let me on with it, sure enough I never even got to security before being told to check it. So much for traveling with this as a carry on! I also needed to take my camera, housing, two strobes, dive computers and laptop as carry on in a smaller bag. I pulled out my Reg, BP&W, mask and stuffed then into the included duffel bag, and checked the Dive Caddy. I would have been better with a regular carry on suitcase to fit my gear and a personal bag for camera stuff. Maybe this is useful for a weekend trip with smaller fins, and no camera equipment but I was disappointed.

@RadHal- thanks for the candid report. I will save my $300 on it then and use large suitcase for extra stuff as checked luggage. I can fit my travel BCD, reg, mask, and computer in my carry on luggage and a small camera for personal item.

I've taken mine (g1) on a few flights so far in carry on. Dui Drysuit, zeagle express deluxe, quattro fins and random stuff plus clothing for a week long liveaboard. Camera and laptop in a shoulder bag.

I'll take a picture or two of the setup next time I fly.

Just use the machines to check in and go to your gate. Take the turtle pack off for security, so the whole thing looks smaller.

I wouldn't have any problems fitting all of my stuff in the bag except maybe my Scubapro Seawing Nova fins (size Large). Anyone know if they will fit?

Will it still fit in the overhead compartment with these fins?

Well thus far I have been able to fit my wetsuits, BCD (ScubaPro Go), regulator/computer and couple days clothes easy in my Tumi carryon bag. I use a fin caddy bag for the split fins and mask and it works for me. So I will save the $300 and use my current luggage set. I spent the money on a new Sola dive light as my backup light flooded and needed two dive lights for the night dives. Just need a drysuit ($$$$) and camera ($$$$) and then I am set on gear.

Perhaps adding my 2 cents worth will offer a little insight into traveling out side of the country with the Dive Caddy. I just returned from a 2 week trip to Roatan for which I used the Dive Caddy to carry "some" of my dive equipment. ( I know I packed way too much equipment, but that is a story for anther day) Packed into the Dive Caddy was a Aqua Lung i3 BCD, (XXL), a full regulator setup with computer, dive mask, snorkel, slate, SMB, polartec jump suit, a pair of board shorts, dive booties, a pair of shorts, a pair of undrware, thin socks, shirt and rain coat and some miscellaneous contact lense supplies and Ipod stuff in the turtle pack. I could not fit in a pair of fins and get teh pack to close. First the good; no problem getting through TSA, a bit of a problem stuffing it in into the over head bin, but traveling first class I was allowed to take up a bit more space. It was a bit heavy but carried well. The bad; I had to break it down twice at the Roatan airport, once for the airport inspectors and once for the airline inspection during the boarding process, (standard for everyone flying out of Roatan), the latter causing me to be one of the last passengers on board the plane while being the first to "board." My take on this bag is while the manufactuer states quite correctly that TSA seems to have little or no trouble with the bag, fitting it into an over head compartment in a crowded economy class might be problamatic at best. Flying back into the country from a foreign land most likeley will be a hassle. My conclusion; I will not use the pack again for any "out of the country trips" or for that matter as a piece of carry on luggage period and will pack far less so everything fits into two checked bags. If I must pay extra for the second checked bag, so be it! As far as any type of carry on baggage; I will limit myself to a very small pack containng contact lense stuff, Ipod and a rain jacket period! No more 20 minute inspections for me. I agree with others, the spider pack attachment method on the Gen 2 is not an improvement, but rather a big pain in the butt to break down and refasten during inspections. Just too much hassle for me; perhpas others may be OK with it. This is just one man's experinece and as the saying goes, others' milage may vary. Basically, minimal carry on luggage for me when I fly anywhere will be the rule!!!

I've used the 1st gen for almost 3 yrs with no problems whatsoever throughout the Caribbean, Mexico, and US destinations. I pack a BP/W, reg w/ 6ft hose, Hollis F1 fins, dive boots, 3mm dive suit, skins, rash guard & board shorts. And a couple of vibram shoes. Minimal clothing in the spider bag. I also carry a laptop backpack wich will hold anything else i bring, lift bag, smb, and i have never had problems carrying on or stowing it.

First of all, sorry for the grave digger =)

I've taken mine (g1) on a few flights so far in carry on. ......... quattro fins .........

So the quattros do fit inside the bag? Are yours the full foot or strap version? Has anyone with the g2 tried fitting the quattros?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom