snaps - tell me why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to Home Depot and Lowe's this evening in search of quality stainless steel or brass bolt snaps. I have one that came with my Hog regs but wanted a couple to secure my SPG and possibly a spare. My local stores where as follows.

Home Depot all packaged vacuum sealed on cardboard backer, plenty of Nickel plated and a few brass. The brass ones had exrtremely large rings.

Lowe's had theirs in flip out bins so you could put your hands on them and test the springs, they had one size in stainless, a bunch of nickel plated (which I overlooked completely, not interested) and what appeared to be the same assortment of brass. As a matter of fact with the exception of the one SS model they had the same stuff as Home Depot.

I bought two and some Para Cord.

Now I just need the books on knots, which I will probably pick up next Thursday!

Mike

Thanks! boat sju!

I will spend a little time checking that out.

Mike

Something that I learned from years of being around boats...not all stainless is created equal. When in doubt, I always took a magnet with me when shopping for hardware. If the item sticks to the magnet, they are not stainless or a really low grade. I have heard that sometimes boltsnaps billed as stainless actually have lower grade springs.

If you are buying from a marine supply house or dive shop, they are probably fine. Buying from a hardware store, you can be sure of what you have with the magnet test.

Something that I learned from years of being around boats...not all stainless is created equal. . . . I have heard that sometimes boltsnaps billed as stainless actually have lower grade springs.
Yes, the springs are at times not stainless, will corrode easily (and quickly), and you are more likely to encounter when you buy 'stainless' hardware from Lowe's or Home Depot.
If you are buying from a marine supply house or dive shop, they are probably fine. Buying from a hardware store, you can be sure of what you have with the magnet test.
One thing the OP can do is buy a couple of styles of snaps as 'throw-away' items. Find the style that works, then order some quality units from someplace like ReefScuba (Reef Scuba, Scuba Gear, Scuba Diving Technical Products, Surgical Tubing, Bungee Cord, Brass and SS Hardware from www.reefscuba.com).

All the hardware I ever bought was brass, and with the occasional drop of oil, they all work fine - some are more than 30 years. I have a brass snap that holds my folding knife on my crossover on my hat, which is probably 35 years old.
All the stainless hardware I have is from diving after the tech divers have been down from the pier at Aberdeen. We would go down and pickup all the shiny bits and bobs they would drop. :D

I'm laughing at some of you who take yourselves way too seriously. Especially on SB.

I'm laughing at your face.

(And I mean this in the most loving way possible.)

Last edited:
I'm laughing at your face.

(And I mean this in the most loving way possible.)

What the **** kind of first post is that?

Back
Top Bottom