New PEN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Guys,
I'm just wondering if anyone has heard any reliable rumors of any new Pen camera releases in the pipeline?
The EPL-3 has been around for a while now and all the hooplah about the EM5 is beginning to slow down a bit so it's about time for the PEN upgrade? Borrowing the autofocus system out of the EM5 would be a great first step?
Or are the PENs dead and buried and the EM5 is the new direction for micro 4/3?
Bruce

I think it is a safe assumption that Olympus will continue the PEN line. I don't feel like the E-PL3 has been out for very long, and its auto-focus is already pretty good, imho. Olympus likes to have several models at several price points. - Scott

The biggest challenge for the 4/3 line is there horrible focus tracking. For many subjects its not a big deal but for any sports or action the lack of reliable focus is a joke. I would not use a 4/3 camera for high action like a wedding! :D This needs to be addressed.

As for more cameras I could care less until they address the focus issue but the EPM1 is a few months old...or new.

I think it is a safe assumption that Olympus will continue the PEN line. I don't feel like the E-PL3 has been out for very long, and its auto-focus is already pretty good, imho. Olympus likes to have several models at several price points. - Scott

Hi Scott,
What improvements can you see being handed down to the Pen line-up?, or do you see the Pen line-up as an experimental base for the larger bodied cameras?
Bruce

They will come out with a new camera as soon as I buy the latest. Happened when I bought the epl1:rofl3:

Given that I like doing both stills and video I would love to see the ability to take full quality still photos while shooting continuous video, like the Nikon J1. How awsome would it be to be able to video a shark swimming towards you and snapping stills of it at the same time.

Last edited:
I'm hoping I can use the same housing when the epm2 comes out. What are the chances of that happening?

That's cool camera! But I've never heard that until now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom