Divers Alert Network coverage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since I can't seem to start a thread in the DAN forum I'll post this here. MODs can put it where they want it.

Why do DAN America and DAN Europe have different exclusions?

I was encouraging friends to sign up with DAN and get insured when they informed me the reason they don't, is that in Europe DAN excludes Heart attack coverage and refuses payment for any injury or death resulting from a heart attack.

Sorry but it looks like a profit driven policy to me.

I can't find that in the policy (DAN Europe - Sport Plans). If you have a pre-existing cardiovascular condition, you must submit a medical self-declaration form before buying insurance and they will decide based on that. Seems reasonable.

I asked them before I signed up and got quickly approved after describing my situation.

I can't find that in the policy (DAN Europe - Sport Plans). If you have a pre-existing cardiovascular condition, you must submit a medical self-declaration form before buying insurance and they will decide based on that. Seems reasonable.

I asked them before I signed up and got quickly approved after describing my situation.

Easily found in the policy in the section on general exclusions.

E. claim caused by or arising from:
i. pregnancy or childbirth but this exclusion shall not apply in respect of
any Diving Activity or Journey commencing more than 12 weeks (i.e.
the last 3 months) prior to the expected date of birth
ii. wilfully self-inflicted illness or injury, the influence of intoxicating liquor
or drugs (except drugs taken in accordance with treatment prescribed
and directed by a registered medical practitioner other than for drug
addiction), alcoholism, drug addiction, solvent abuse, sexually
transmitted diseases, travel contrary to medical advice or where the
purpose of travelling is to obtain medical treatment
iii. mental illness
iv. myocardial infarction and its consequences, hernias and the breaking of
subcutaneous tendons

---------- Post added ----------

What do you think about DAN specifically excluding heart attack from their coverage? Heart attack as I understand it is one of the leading causes of drowning during diving.

WHAT?????? Insurance companies driven by PROFIT? No way!!!!!

Except for this note on their page. I guess certain on this board would scream that they should lose this benefit eh?

DAN is 501(c)(3) non-profit organization ID #56-1696689

​They're not supposed to make a profit. Get it?

Except for this note on their page. I guess certain on this board would scream that they should lose this benefit eh?

They are a non-profit, but they are not a full-scale insurance company. There is an underwriting insurance company for the insurance. In the US it is a different company than in Europe, which is why coverage and exclusions are different. Simple explanation.

**Edited to correct factual error****

They are a non-profit, but they are not a full-scale insurance company. There is an underwriting insurance company for the insurance. In the US it is a different company than in Europe, which is why coverage and exclusions are different. Simple explanation.

**Edited to correct factual error****

yes, quite simple. The European branch clearly wants to exclude the area of highest probable indemnity. which imo, makes it a waste of money and a ripoff.

ymmv

DAN America does not underwrite any insurance. It's a membership organization with some flaws inherent to such, but sticking to insurance - they broker the coverages with license insurance companies who want to compete for the business. Not all can operate in all 50 states and Canada, and certainly not all want our business.

The dive insurance is great, other than the cheapest plan. Their other policies not so great but members asked for them.

Just to clarify, being a non-profit does not mean you can't make a profit, it means you can not distribute profits to shareholders, they must be reinvested in the business. If you didn't make a profit (have more revenue than expenses) you could not continue your business, you'd be broke.

For a non-profit to not make money is simple. Pay your CEO more money and the profit is gone. Nothing says that employees cant get rich.

NOT saying that DAN does this.......but it IS done in the non-profit sector.

Back
Top Bottom