Can dive shallow water using a Military compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with JamesK here. You should use equipment designed for underwater use- especially an important navigation tool like a compass. Try diving sometime with your "waterproof Timex. It won't survive, especially in salt water, more than a few minutes, because that is not its designed use. I can survive getting a few rain drops, or a sprinkler hit, maybe even dropped in a sink and immediately retrieved and dried. So too a land compass.
DivemasterDennis

I guess you could always try the cheapo compass if you're not depending on it! Like in good visibility when you can use natural navigation, or when you have a buddy with a real dive compass. Maybe you could get the military version of a real dive compass cheaply too.

I have a "water resistant to 100m" $25 Timex that I'll take on some dives in the ocean next month, and we'll see how it holds up. I'm willing to take the risk of killing a cheap watch to avoid buying an expensive one. (I have a computer so I don't need it for timing; it's just easier to read and use as a stopwatch.) It was fine to 75ft in fresh water.
Timex Ironman Men's 10 Lap Watch - Orange : Target

BTW, I wish my compass was not attached to my SPG console. Don't get one of those. The wrist mounted ones or ones that attach to your BCD are much easier to use.

love the timex. i have had a timex expedition WR100mfor three years. dove it in vortex, morrison, and all over panama city in salt. oh and kuwait and afganistan. takes a licking and keeps on ticking. i am actualy trying to see of it will die, and i have my computer so it it does die i shouldnt go with it.

sell 8 and buy several new dive things!!!!!

Mike

One of my friends is an extremely frugal diver and has used a $10 run-of-the-mill hiking compass as a diving compass for years, with no problems. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk because I don't mind spending 50 bucks on a proper piece of equipment that could potentially save my life, but it has worked well for her.

I have a "water resistant to 100m" $25 Timex that I'll take on some dives in the ocean next month, and we'll see how it holds up. I'm willing to take the risk of killing a cheap watch to avoid buying an expensive one. (I have a computer so I don't need it for timing; it's just easier to read and use as a stopwatch.) It was fine to 75ft in fresh water.
Timex Ironman Men's 10 Lap Watch - Orange : Target

OK, trip report: the cheapo Timex worked like a charm, in six salt water dives, a couple of which were about 85 feet deep. Not bad!

Back
Top Bottom