Roatan, Belize, and/or Cozumel??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KyleeM

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone! My husband and I are headed on a Caribbean cruise during Christmas break. We want to go on 2 dive trips. Out of the 3 stops listed in the thread title, which 2 would you pick? Is there one that you would definitely exclude?

Thanks for any information you can give me. My husband and I are pretty new divers so we haven't been diving at any of the places. We spend 2 weeks in Hawaii for our honeymoon so that is the only place we have gone diving.

I would pick Cozumel for one, and schedule a 2-tank scuba dive with Living Underwater; they're a reputable op. with 120 cf steel tanks, and you can stay down a long time. Maybe even see if they can squeeze in a 3 tank dive? There are other reputable op.s, too, such as Aldora, who I believe also have big tanks. I did a 2 tank dive with L.U. on a cruise one day back in '08.

I haven't dove Belize or Roatan yet. I believe in a prior thread comparing Belize & Cozumel, someone suggest Cozumel for a charter boat op. vacation (which is like what you'd do on a cruise), or Belize for a live-aboard.

I don't think you're going to be disappointed in any of these places.

On a cruise stop in Belize, my little crew did a boat tour up the New River, walked in the jungle & saw 4 Mayan ruins (& climbed atop 2) via the cruise ship excursion (Royal Caribbean), and really had a good time.

I'd probably do Cozumel like I said above, a dive excursion at Roatan, and do that tour I already mentioned at Belize, if I'd never done it.

Richard.

My wife and I have taken only dive vacations since we've been certified in 2001 and average just over 1 dive trip per year (with the remaining diving local). We discovered Coz in 2004 and since then 6 of our 9 trips have been there for what it's worth, and while we are not going this year, I expect we will go back next year. One of the trips was Roatan (2010) and while there were fewer fish, the macro life was great and you don't have the currents like Coz that can make you miss some of the small stuff. I would go back there. Never been to Belize. I think you will be impressed with any of them though, especially as new divers.

If you have any specific questions about either place, let me know.

I've done all three. Not sure how much time you have in port, but given that you are tied to the cruise ship schedule Cozumel and Roatan would probably be your best bets due to proximty. Belize has great diving as well, but the really good stuff is a long way from the ship terminal.

Dive all three on this cruise and then decide which if any to "miss" the next time around. My wife and I are going on a similar cruise and certainly intend to dive all three. We have been to Coz and Roatan and loved both and fully expect to love Belize as well.

I have dove all three.
Dive Coz and Roatan and do a Mayan ruins tour in Belize. If you have never done one - it's well worth it.

Belize is my kids favorite vacation destination. There is just so much you can do there.

I've done all three. Not sure how much time you have in port, but given that you are tied to the cruise ship schedule Cozumel and Roatan would probably be your best bets due to proximty. Belize has great diving as well, but the really good stuff is a long way from the ship terminal.

I agree 100%. I've been to all three places too and you
probably won't have time to get to the good stuff in
Belize if your ship docks in Belize city. You probably do
have time to snorkel in Belize, however, and it's quite
nice to snorkel the Belize barrier reef.

Roatan has great, relaxed diving and dive sites are very close to shore! I noticed a lot of cruise ships there transported their people to West Bay to a beach club. Right next to that beach club you can find West Bay Divers (formerly Ocean Connections). Luke can help you get out diving and back in time for your return transport!

I agree with Maredsous - Cozumel and Roatan based upon the logistics for getting from cruise ship to dive concessionaire and back to the cruise ship. I think, as all three destinations offer quality diving, I would focus on the logistics issue as the deciding factor. I should add, as a disclaimer, that my observations are of others and their comments at these locations. I am not a cruise ship guy. But I have dove with those from cruise ships, and at Roatan and Cozumel they almost always commented on the ease of getting to the dive operations.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom