canon 17-85mm lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUDMANOK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
need some assistance

I currently have a Canon 17-85mm lens for topside shooting. thinking about using it underwater. this would require a new port and a +4 lens to the tune of $250 to $300.

worth the investment? or should I just buy the canon 60mm and a flat port? will the 60mm work with the 6" dome port from ikelite?

thanks for your help.

btw currently shooting 10-24mm only so macro is new to me.

You can't beat the bang for the buck with the 17-85. I should warn you that the 60mm and the 17-85 are quite different lenses, hence the reason I have both. I tried shooting macro with the 17-85, but was never very pleased with the results. I've tried shooting portrait with the 60, but it really doesn't work.

Sorry, I'm not sure about the Ike housings.

17-85 is a middle of the road lens that takes decent underwater photos, I shoot it behind my 6 inch and 8 inch dome. I use it for video also. I also have a 60 mm and you have to have the flat port. I had a custom flat port made so I could mount my ring strobe, great combo.

If you want macro, you can do one of three things.

First, you could get the similar Sigma 17-70 Macro lens. It is not really a true macro lens because it only allows an image that is 1.2 times life size on your sensor. True macro gives you a 1 to 1 image size on your sensor. But it is close. So you get a lens capable of doing close ups that is still pretty flexible. I think the sigma lens would be more flexible than the canon lens.

If you want to do true macro, you can go with a 60 mm macro lens. This lens will give you true macro. It is also a mid range lens so it has a bit of general use.

Finally, you could go with a 105 mm macro lens. These lenses are good for macro. They give you more stand off range than the 60 which can be a good thing with shy subjects. The stand off distance is not good on very low vis situations. The 105 is also a lens that allows you to get a wet diopter lens and get involved in super macro. Super macro is taking dramatic close up images of tiny subjects. It is a very specialized application but it can be a pile of fun.

Back
Top Bottom