Wet Macro Lens comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeParrish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I remember seeing a great wet macro lens comparison article just recently, it includes a number of lenses such as Dyron, Subsee, and Olympus wet macro lenses. Problem is I forgot where I saw it and can't seem to find it with a search engine.

Does anyone know where this was and care share a link to it?

Thanks!

---------- Post added ----------

Ah, found it, I had bookmarked it on my tablet: http://www.deepshots.co.uk/2012/02/deepshots-big-underwater-close-up-lens-test/ .

Sorry for the noise...

thnx for the link

The problem with this set of tests is that in air many of the lenses tested will have far different properties than under the water.
Bill

Bill, makes sense that its not a great review, are you aware of any that do a better job?

I don't see anywhere that review that says it is done in air. Further, I think I see little bubbles on the rulers.

I mean, the whole point, the way I read the text, was to show that dry air strength was meaningless, and to test to see the true effect.

You are right, I do see bubbles. So it may be fully valid.

---------- Post added ----------

It actually lists the test setup as: "This lens test was done in my little test tank with Olympus E-PL3 camera inside the PT-EP05l housing. The lens used was the stock 14-42mm zoom lens in its 42mm position which equates to a focal length of about 85mm." So looks like the tests are done in water and should be valid...

I didn't look at the bubbles, MY bad, but the point is still valid, giving the diopter value (like FIT did) is meaningless since the diopter number is in air. In any case, I have most of these lenses and for day to day use I use either the Subsee +5 (the 10 is really tough to get nice shots with here in California) or the dyron +7.
Bill

Deepshots is a reliable source
Interesting that as you increase the power the quality of the image goes down. Personally anything around +6 is usable, something like 10+ requires essentially perfect conditions or a tripod...
a +3 lens is good for video but not for stills in my opinion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom