Do you dive with a snorkel!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please explain why you save gas hanging out of the surface with a snorkel.

I find floating the on surface waiting for someone to get their act together, I can breath the ambient air just fine and am more aware of surface dangers (boats, other divers jumping in, etc...) since I can both see and hear what's going on around me. I only use it for longer surface swims when I need to accurately navigate and/or be more aware of whats under me than on the surface. Handy tool, yes, but not critical.

I think the obvious reason is that there may be big surface chop or worse and there is somewhat less chance of getting a mouthful of water. If I have plenty of gas to spare I will keep the reg in instead--no chance of that mouthful.

I wear or carry one all the time since I do most of my diving in oceans from the shore. The last few years ive only ever had to use it in anger once so I kinda look at it the same way I look at my octopus, a bit of a pain, adds clutter and rarely if ever used but the one time you need it its sure nice to have!

And how "tech" is a snorkel? Simple gear required for OW PADI certification in the beginner's class. Nothing macho or tech about it, unless the folding ones are now tech gear.

I think he is saying that people without a snorkel are macho tech wannabees. SMH. I don't wear a snorkel because I have no need for it. I don't wear what I don't need. I do carry a roll up in my pocket, but that is because the base requires them.

In the past the pathway to diving was usually through an apprenticeship of snorkeling/skindiving. Most divers first did that as junior members of a club or because they were too poor to go out and buy an aqualung right away. Those who then dove were probably very practiced and comfortable with the use of a snorkel. Nowadays, most people progress straight to diving, and even tech diving, with little to no skindiving exposure/experience. Gee, wonder why they don't like snorkels. Like many pieces of equipment, if you have it, and use it, you think it's worthwhile - if you don't, you won't. How many divers compensate for a small snorkel by adding a BCD to do surface swims?

I find that for diving old school a snorkel comes in handy sometimes. Without a BC I don't float out of the water as high so I occasionally like one. I also like to be able to reconnoiter some sites and with a steel 72 I don't want to waste too much gas. My doublehose also tends to freeflow on the surface so I chock off the mouthpiece and sometimes use the snorkel to surface swim.

Now, let's debate the need for a longhose in OW diving; when was the last time anyone really needed that?

Useful or necessary?
A snorkel is certainly more useful on a surface swim than a longhose.
Anyways, sounds like an equipment solution to a planning problem :wink:

Well running out of gas underwater certainly could be an emergency so that pushes to having tools for easy air sharing to be closer to necessity. But sure you could argue that none of that is necessary, and everyone should practice swimming ascents from 100 fsw with regularity like was done in some of the older classes. There is plenty of air at the surface to breath without a snorkel.

What does running out of gas have to do with a longhose? Almost all recreational divers past and present have been air sharing without them. My point was that for those who own a longhose and use one, myself included, it is a sometimes useful piece of equipment - but for the 99% of recreational divers who will dive their whole lives without ever owning or using one it looks like 4 1/2' of uselessness to tuck into the waistband. Same as a snorkel.

Well running out of gas underwater certainly could be an emergency so that pushes to having tools for easy air sharing to be closer to necessity. But sure you could argue that none of that is necessary, and everyone should practice swimming ascents from 100 fsw with regularity like was done in some of the older classes. There is plenty of air at the surface to breath without a snorkel.

What does running out of gas have to do with a longhose? Almost all recreational divers past and present have been air sharing without them. My point was that for those who own a longhose and use one, myself included, it is a sometimes useful piece of equipment - but for the 99% of recreational divers who will dive their whole lives without ever owning or using one it looks like 4 1/2' of uselessness to tuck into the waistband. Same as a snorkel.

I estimate that I've needed a snorkel at least 100 times more often than than I've had the sorts of problems that a long hose is carried to solve. I estimate that I've used a snorkel at least 1000 times more dives than than I've needed to deal with the sorts of problems that a long hose is carried to solve. I own and carry both a snorkel and a long hose, but if someone put a gun to my head and said, "your snorkel or your hose!" It would have to be bye bye hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom