Anyone have trouble with online SCUBA store??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatoys is a LDS for me. I wouldnt hesitate to buy from them online. They offer great customer service...last time I was in there, a guy was buying a hose and the clerk said if he didn't like the length, just bring it back and he would swap it out for a new hose. They gave my friends a great deal on a setup of gear.

I buy things from LDS as well as online. Just depends on what it is and price.

My LDS generally doesn't sell what I want, so I buy online at other people's LDS, as well as some of the big internet retailers. The biggest problem I ever had was receiving two Light Monkey canister lights and having trouble getting them to take one back. My LDS tracks everything on their computer, so they know instantly when I show up on their boat with new equipment that I got it elsewhere. I get a little attitude, but usually tell them that if they stocked Brand X and I would buy it from them.

My long winded question is this... has this happened to anyone else? Is this fairly common? I'm a little nervous now about my purchase and wondering if its misplaced.

Yes, this happens all the time. Not swapped components, but the ghost stories told by LDS' to try to maintain their shrinking share of the market.

I'm not a huge fan of Leisure Pro, but I can tell you I have bought from both Scuba.com and Scubatoys.

And as a previous poster noted, Scubatoys customer support is legendary. These guys do handstands to make sure you are happy and that your gear is just right. They are working so hard to make sure you're satisfied and happy that I doubt they have the time or inclination to be "rebuilding" regs on the bench in the back room.

PS- I work for a major American automobile engine manufacturer. We project a three percent failure rate at initial startup. None of those engines have different guts than the ones that slink past the dyno. Just sayin', it happens in manufacturing.

I have been buying scuba gear online for a decade. When I got certified the internet was much less popular and the LDS had a standard lecture about grey market and the dangers of the evil mail order/internet. They flat out said that you would get grey merchandise from LP if it was even real, and that you would experience everything from fake gear to outright getting robbed via the internet thieves. This was all stated as fact and all my fellow students sat there nodding and some even repeated this story of internet robbery to any one who would listen. The internet was evil and no one should risk purchasing anything sight unseen. So there I was buying used gear off ebay!

I am a photographer and have been buying from NY for decades. So I was comfortable with the concept long before the internet, and was comfortable with the idea of paying a retailer for merchandise site unseen. Now I do not even use the LDS for service, I do that online as well. It's much cheaper and easier. Who wants to drive 100 miles (25 miles one way, twice!) to get over charged for service. If I could get my tanks filled online I would! :D

I bought my reg from LP and love it. I wouldn't worry about it. As others have said, your LDS hates hearing that you buy stuff online.

Thanks for the responses. I feel better now knowing that he was just trying to give me the hard sell about buying stuff off the internet. I'll just try to keep things on the down low next time I buy something online.

I've bought everything from BCDs to BP/Ws to full reg setups to computers, to fins and to masks online. But this is only when my LDS puts a ridiculous markup on the items. On most things they sell at cost, but with others, such as masks, fins and snorkels- they mark them up crazy high because they know new OW students need them. They also tend to mark up computers, hoses, and SOMETIMES regulators.

If I need it NOW and my LDS has it way marked up, I can generally knock the owner of the shop down by telling him that I could go to X shop and get it closer to cost, or I'll tell him that I would like 15% knocked off and he can tack on 15% for the next smaller purchase I make.

Most of the time, if it's marked up over 25% you can haggle with the owner to go down a bit, after all, even if he brings it down to 15% markup he can still make a profit.

Out here in the Middle East I hesitate in buying any gear online that requires any kind of fitting that would make a return difficult and more expensive.

I have bought computers online, fins, spring fin straps and a 3-ringed log book. I usually use Simply Scuba, and had no problems.

Everything else I have purchased from either my LDS or somebody else's LDS, because I like to try, feel and know what I am paying for.

I tried to purchase a Henderson 7mm semi dry through a Henderson supplier in NC when I used to visit NC frequently on business trips two years ago only to be severely disappointed after ordering this product months in advance and turning up to find that they had not bothered to order it for me from Henderson! That put me off RTP LDSs

Thanks for the responses. I feel better now knowing that he was just trying to give me the hard sell about buying stuff off the internet. I'll just try to keep things on the down low next time I buy something online.
Now that many SCUBA brands, Scubapro for example, are selling direct to the on-line store, it is no longer gray market. Before this change occurred, the gray market gear was suspect. The on-line stores had to get it indirectly. We had customers who had purchased gear on-line bring in the gear. It was not what they ordered or it would be questionable. We would send it back to the on-line store and get them what they wanted.

Now that the on-line stores are authorized dealers, they are getting gear direct from Scubapro, for example. The caveat is they must sell at the MSRP.

My advise is give your LDS a chance, but double check with on-line sources.

WARNING: This post got away from me!

I hate the whole brick and mortar verses internet debate. What is an internet shop? I know for a fact three of the shops mentioned in this thread, SCUBA Toys, DRIS, and Leisure Pro all have real stores that you can walk into and talk with someone and buy stuff. Usually at even better prices than what might be on the internet. I also know there are many other shops including Dive Gear Express and Cave Adventurers that are physical shops with excellent online stores and great service. All these shops treat you the same whether you call in, buy online, email them, or walk in the front door.

I don't think they should be knocked just because they have found a more efficient way of doing business while helping customers keep cost down in what is a very expensive sport. Expensive sports usually bring about educated clientele. An educated consumer will not fall for the scare tactics for long. It's a shame, I hear of so many people getting overcharged on gear with crazy markups when they get certified and that leaves a bad taste in their mouths with the LDS that did the training. If they stay with diving they usually purchase elsewhere in the future. Repeat business is the best business and the industry seems to push this away. The practices of price fixing (Let's call it what it is) and scare tactics should be done with.

There have been several shops I've walked into needing something immediately. If I ask them to match a price I often get the response, that is a counterfit, death by internet price. If you need to spend that amount we have this other over-priced POS here for you that doesn't fit your diving but its not from the internet so you won't die. At this point, if I really need it right away I suck it up and never enter the store again. Or I walk out and they lost the sale. I understand if you can't match something, but work with me without giving me the BS lines.

Money is in expendables and service. Gear doesn't need to get replaced all that often. Active divers spend money on repairs, gas, advanced training, and of course more gear. To be an active diver - diver's need gear. Active diver's also wear out, break, and dismember gear in a variety of ways. This gear needs to be replaced. Active divers also know what things cost and know when there are being overcharged. Instead of worrying about the evil internet, shops need to be more concerned with helping people remain active divers and providing fair pricing.

While we're on service . . . Lots of divers have lots of gear from various places. If you an authorized repair shop . . . don't harass me about where my gear came from. Give me a price and do the service. Imagine what would happen if car dealers started giving you crap and charging you extra on service because you bought you car used from someone else.

Luckily, there are a lot of shops that are starting to realize this. Hopefully, the gear manufacturers start to come around as well and give smaller shops the ability to compete by fixing their pricing structures. How can shops compete if there not allowed to market to larger audiences and have to sell and advertise the exact same product and the same exact price as every other shop. (Hint: Try bundling services, air fills, rental or store credits on other gear, discount on dive trips/classes). Make me feel like I'm getting a fair deal and give me a reason to come back to your shop and I'll spend money. Treat me like a mark . . . and hopefully i'll catch on and never step foot back in the shop again.

A couple of last comments:

LP does do things differently because they do offer grey market goods. But in every case they let you know what your getting and they provide their own warranty. They are also authorized dealers of lots of brands as well.

I've purchased stuff from all of the above and never had any issues and service from all three is excellent.

One last thing because this is very much becoming a rant . . . and I hear the scuba police at my front door.

If there is a demand for something, someone will always offer the service to meet the demand. As long as there are diver's diving in your area, there will be shops filling tanks. All industries need to evolve and I think we are starting to reach the peak of this evolution in the SCUBA industry. Those that don't evolve will become extinct, but life will go on.

So yes to OP, I wouldn't worry about your purchase.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom