A girls best friend and how to get him to stay on the boat (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with much of what everyone else has said. Our dog will try and rescue (or play) with any diver she sees UNLESS she has something to do while on the boat or on the shore. Dogs are naturally "man's best friend" so they'll do anything to ensure "man" is still around to be friends with. I would suggest that you leave your dog at home (his nervousness paired with the sun and water isn't a good thing) or do what knotical suggested. I absolutely LOVE my dog (same amount - just different - than my husband). I work with her on a daily basis whether it be with agility or field training (she's an English Springer Spaniel). We have no children but she essentially is. But if we go dive (even from the boat) and it's just the two of us, she's left at home. The only time we'll take her with is if someone else can be with her when we go down because they'll keep her busy working by retrieving a ball or frisbee from the water.

Attachments

• 540466_10151016070651998_1427576916_n.jpg
    540466_10151016070651998_1427576916_n.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 285
Bring your cat instead.

He won't care. ;-)

A digital voice recorder, hit record and say firmly STAY every 1 min for an hour, play it back on the boat.

Or something similar...

"Yes, you're momma's luvy duvy doggy yes good boy, now STAY."

Perhaps also use a GoPro to record what's going on. Scuba to 10-15 ft and just wait there, training him to stay longer, coming back up if he jumps boat.

Leave your dog home,his concern for you is basic instinct that will never change .He considers himself your guardian .

Thats my buoy. It has a flag I can set up, a popover cover for shade and I can haul 450 lbs of gear and the dog on it. Plus I can roll my scuba up on top of it without getting out of the water and my dog can get on and off on his own. I put a ballistic wrap under the cover.
I dive different I think. I like to go out and stay out. All day. Doing a lot of different things. Everything from fishing to scuba or just flipping my scuba over and using it as a mini raft for snorkeling and free diving. I haul water, food, fun,the best dog in the world and emergency shelter. :p
Don't worry about my dog getting sunstroke or not being taken care of. He thinks he's a seal. :p I was thinking I might be able to convert a small BC to give him more buoyancy. The life vest only works if I'm watching him and not very well in rough swells.
I'll leave him home before I'll leave him unattended until we figure something out. He smells like a wet seal in the ocean, I'm sure. I don't want him paddling on the surface unless someone is around to poke a predator in the eye if necessary.

Hah! Our cats despise water. Malice and Misery would kill to keep from getting so much as a single paw wet. And I'd be real, real tempted to add that extra 300 lbs of lead weight that would keep them from leaving cat hair on my bed every time I forget to shut the door...

---------- Post Merged at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:58 PM ----------

You need a bigger boat

Yeah ... I need a 130' yacht with an in-suite jacuzzi and a live-aboard crew of six that includes a chef and a really cute guy to pick up the dog poo on the decks too. I'd never set foot on land again. Ever. :p

Yeah ... I need a 130' yacht with an in-suite jacuzzi and a live-aboard crew of six that includes a chef and a really cute guy to pick up the dog poo on the decks too. I'd never set foot on land again. Ever. :p
I need a job, am a great cook, and am really good with animals.

It sounds like your dog is living the good life with you. My suggestion is to look in your area for a dog trainer and ask them. If you find a good one they can really understand what your dog is thinking and give you some help to keep him calm. Let us know how it works out.

I need a job, am a great cook, and am really good with animals.

Me too! We have too much in common already - I do need a real job, I'm a fantastic cook so long as you like real food. I'm really good with animals :) If you happen across a rich sugar mama with a yacht ... I'll be your cook instead! :p

It sounds like your dog is living the good life with you. My suggestion is to look in your area for a dog trainer and ask them. If you find a good one they can really understand what your dog is thinking and give you some help to keep him calm. Let us know how it works out.

Yes, I will. Not the trainer though. He's already been taught not to accept food or instruction from outside the family. I think we'll work it out. It's the bubbles that set him off, as near as I can figure out so far. He's loyal and likes the structure of work a whole lot more than he likes to play. I can't imagine he won't get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom