Potential problems with Divemaster class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As my dear departed Grandmother used to say, "No one can take advantage of you, unless you let them."

I
This shop is just waiting for you to quit. In fact, they are setting you up so that you do quit. They don't want to kick you out since you have paid the $$, but they do want you to walk away. .

I have had similar suspicions.

I may agree with the shop wanting me to walk away but I am one hell of a stubborn individual, I will not walk away from anything, throw work at me all day and I will be back the next day with a smile on my face. I have made it a point this weekend when im assisting with another OW class to get some time to talk the the instructor and if no answers will come, the shop owner. The term bullies fully described the feeling i have gotten from this shop since I started my advanced course with them. This weekend will give me answers or im off to find another shop. Also when I requested my folder they were a bit hesitant saying the only thing in my folder was a photocopy of my certification cards and the date that I completed the courses. I wonder if this is normal for folder records at most dive shops. They said if I had my cert cards thats really all I need and I would need not the info in the folder, I still asked to get the information inside it regardless of what I do or do not have. They also failed to mention any records of the work I have completed so far as a DMC, the assisting with OW classes, the mapping project, and the EAP. Since I have not technically had any class time to go over the work I assume its normal they would not have recorded it. The work is done however. Also if I have not mentioned this before im a PADI diver all the way.

So when you say you spent 1100 what courses were you paying for? It sounds like you were paying for advanced - Divemaster.

Also, I going to call PADI and request an official document of the requirements and obligations that come with their DM course. BTW just last weekend I was left all alone with 2 uncertified OW students while the instructor went to the surface to talk with the other student who was having trouble decending. Liability issue? I think so, I am not under their insurance nor do I have my own liability insurance should something happen down under.

---------- Post Merged at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:36 PM ----------

No I paid for my advanced and rescue completely separate, this was a couple of months before I started my DM course, just the course alone was $1100 not including any boat dives for free except one inshore wreck charter I get to complete a full assist with OW divers, I have check the pricing in the area and the only other PADI shop that offers a DM course was $1680, and that also included no free boat dives, just shore dives to assist with OW student, so the price I think was fair for the course by itself.

Pm me an email address and I will send you the dm portion of the instructor manual so you can see the requirements.

Get out, fast and furious! To me, the not being told where you stand part is a Red Flag. I speak from experience.

Man the more info you give the worse this looks unfortunately! I think what's going on is you think you have started your DM class (i would too your doing the DMC stuff for the shop) and they don't. Every required dive that you do for DM will have it's own grading sheet, your knowlede development, tests, pool work has grading sheets some require just the instructor to sign and some will require you to also sign. Basically when you finish DM class your student folder is so full that if you continue with other classes you'll usually need to start a new folder. So they would have already had to complete paperwork for dives when you where assisting if they where going to count for your DM class.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk this post getting removed. But the more I hear about the crap this shop is pulling the less respect I have for the OP in his continued refusal to name them and perhaps save someone else from getting screwed over. I don't know if this is a Stockholm Syndrome type deal or what but if I was the administrator of the scholarship I'd be wanting regular progress reports and I would not be happy with this. I paid 500 for my DM course back in 2006. I would have walked in a minute if during it I had to pay for air, admissions, and retail for gear while helping out. And like Marci said earlier this is like letting a rapist walk.

Back
Top Bottom