Why can't this work in an OOA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be cool...if you are James Bond...and you are hiding on the reef while you boat over head is being attacked...and then you see the tanks coming down first so you grab one, take a breath...pass off the extra air from your lips to the babe that you've been after...you both swim off together...you get the idea....but for the rest of us...just get the extra reg...you are trying to make a simple solution into a very complex one.

Or you could just borrow Bob's donkey.

I'll never live that one down. :depressed:

---------- Post Merged at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:22 PM ----------

So there is always talk about bail-out tanks, spare airs blah blah etc etc. For solo divers and for buddy divers.

So I ask you those o Gods of Scuba, Why can't I just take an extra tank with me with no reg on it and if im OOA just open the tank and little and sip the air untill i get to the surface. I feel like I could make a good funnel over the valve with my hand between my mouth. I could take two breaths close the tank exhale and ascend slowly then open tank take another two breaths and continue the cycle. Do I need a whole nother reg set??? Burst my bubble??

Yes it can be done

Yes it used to be taught more as a confidence builder.

The bottom line is, when the crap hits the fan do you want to do parlor tricks or just fall back on simple reliable gear and techniques.

I think the air blasting out of the tank will take care of that.

---------- Post Merged at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Yes, the air bubbles themselves will be at ambient pressure in either case. There will just be ****load more of them coming right from the tank. And they will be moving an awful lot faster.

If you've ever seen a blown burst-disk in action (vs a free flowing reg) you'll understand just how dramatic a difference there is.

So how does it change anything ? :) Yes there will be a lot more bubbles and they will be moving faster but they will be at the ambient pressure - unless the operator in question will be sticking the valve into the mouth. Then again there is no need to open the valve completely.

Try it ....

Then come and post back here on whether you think its a good idea or not.

Sometimes I wish GI3 was still around.

where are you planning on carrying this tank? whats your plan for getting into position to begin using it? carrying said tank, controlling the valve, sipping air and controlling your BCD on ascent. Better be something you practice and perfect before you actually need to do this for real. Nah I like the redundant regulator idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom