Beware: premature Suunto D4 Strap failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wear it diving (8-10 hours per week total. 4-6 in the water). Then give it a fresh water rinse and hang it up with my other gear. .
There you go.

THUMBS UP TO SUUNTO!
I thought I should share my experience regarding the Suunto D4 strap failure issue. Mine also lasted a little over a year, having purchased it over the 'Net in late 2010.

I contacted Suunto customer service via their website, explaining that it is a known problem (as per this thread), with aggravated obvious risk of DCS, in the event of losing a dive computer. They asked me to send photos and the purchase documentation, which I did, via e-mail. Their response was to send me a new strap direct from Finland, free of charge.

Now that’s great customer service for you!

THUMBS UP TO SUUNTO!
I thought I should share my experience regarding the Suunto D4 strap failure issue. Mine also lasted a little over a year, having purchased it over the 'Net in late 2010.

I contacted Suunto customer service via their website, explaining that it is a known problem (as per this thread), with aggravated obvious risk of DCS, in the event of losing a dive computer. They asked me to send photos and the purchase documentation, which I did, via e-mail. Their response was to send me a new strap direct from Finland, free of charge.

Now that’s great customer service for you!

I love a good Customer Service story with a happy ending. Over the past year, I've sent a couple of emails & mad a couple of calls, and they have ALWAYS responded, and promptly.

I am on my third strap on my D6. Out of the last year the computer has spent 9 weeks being repaired three different times.

Great customer service is nice.

BUT lets not get distracted from the point of this thread, and the feedback from other D Series owners, that the material they use for straps is way sub-standard, not even lasting 12 months.

This problem doesn't disappear with good CS, it has to be addressed with a re-design and re-specification of the material used so that these straps last for years.

Then they can send us the new straps, then we might have some confidence in using their dive watches without the risk of it falling off mid-dive and perhaps risking us with DCI.

Suunto have yet to send me a replacement strap for the last one that broke in less than 12 months. :-(

Homemade and best ever

I bought a used Suunto that came with a homemade strap. It's made of flat, elastic fabric exactly the width of the original strap, and at ends are securely sewn the two ends of a big plastic nearly 1" x 1" clip, like you'd have on a backpack. Sewn onto it is also a 5mm safety bungee to make it darn hard to loose the computer by mistake. Everything is black so it even looks nice.

It's teriffic: easy to put on, easy to slide up and down, easy to tighten/loosen even with drysuit gloves or 8mm mits & the safety bungee is a brilliant touch. On occasion the safety bungee also gives me super easy place to store an extra pistol clip for a moment (to get my wetnotes out of my hands for 30 sec for instance - faster than clipping to a D-ring)

Love the strap, would buy more like it in a heartbeat. Might even have to dig out my sewing machine to I can make myself some more. IMG_0080.jpg

Last edited:
Have had problems like this with other computer straps. On the first one, I'm sure the failure was caused by tightening the band too tight, and stressing the holes in the band. Now I always keep them just tight enough but not too tight. I also dive with redundant computers in case one fails (falls off, battery fails, etc.).

I'm sure the failure was caused by tightening the band too tight, and stressing the holes in the band.

In my case, I don’t think that overtightening was the reason for failure. I don’t like overly tight fitting straps - I wear it just tight enough to stop the watch from rotating to the bottom of my wrist.

---------- Post added ----------

I am on my third strap on my D6.

I would suggest buying the metal strap, even though it is pricy. If there were a metal strap option for the D4, I would get one. (I bought the D4 because the D6 & D9 don’t have freedive mode).

In my case, I don’t think that overtightening was the reason for failure. I don’t like overly tight fitting straps - I wear it just tight enough to stop the watch from rotating to the bottom of my wrist.

---------- Post added ----------

I would suggest buying the metal strap, even though it is pricy. If there were a metal strap option for the D4, I would get one. (I bought the D4 because the D6 & D9 don’t have freedive mode).

Mine failed after around 12 months. Fortunately it occurred on the boat rather than in the water! I have used a replacement strap made by Oceanic for the past year and it works great. Cost me around $10, as I recall. You might also take a look at modenawatch.com . . . I used an inexpensive rubber strap from them for a couple of years until the buckle gave way after extensive use. Can't justify the expensive replacement from Suunto.

My daughter found a crack in the long strap and it was broken few hours later. This was broken just a day after my last dive. Apparently, there is no other crack in the strap, except the one that broken. Exactly in the hole i usually put the needle from the short strap. So, this strap only last for 64 dives, 9 months only. Like the thread's owner, i wore it daily when i got out of home. I dont usually wear watch at home and usually take that off immediately after i get home. I also wash it with fresh water after each dive.
Will try to contact Suunto and see if they can send replacement. But i dont have any purchase document anymore. Bought it in Singapore as a walk in customer.
Two issue here. 1. The quality of the strap is not good (material, design, etc). 2. The price is expensive comparing to other divecomp straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom