How many people have had to use their knife/cutting tool while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It saved my life once on a trimix dive.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I have cut monofilament a few times, but here is one interesting situation that may give you something to think about.

My buddy and I were at the very end of our planned bottom time at about 160 feet, with some serious deco time ahead of us. We had tied off some cave line (never mind why), and when we went to retrieve it my buddy decided to cut it off to save time. He was sawing at it with his expensive knife with little luck. I pulled out my cheapo Z-knife and slashed through it in a second.

Ive had to cut myself an others out of mono filament quite a few times. Also used it as a shovel and a reef hook a few times :D

I was clearing fishing line, my (insta-) buddy decided to try and help me and succeeded in getting hooks caught in his BC and wrapping himself up in the line, essentially tying himself onto the rocks. He'd been such a PIA all day that I did briefly consider letting him sort himself out.....(joke) but no, cut him free.
Have used my knife countless times in similar situations, on reef clean-up dives or just if I spot rubbish on a fun dive,
without getting myself tangled!!!

I also just have a z-knife/line cutter for normal open
water dives, as I was basically a bit pansy when buying it 2 years ago and figured I'd probably injure myself if I had a big boy's knife!

Yep, monofilament a few times but that was with a line cutter. I've used my "big boys" knife to free a lost anchor.
I bring my big knife and line cutter on all dives. (except pools). I figure the first time I leave on shore will be the first time I'll really need it.

I've been tangled in fishing line a couple of times at a local shore dive (Ogden Point). The knife helped quite a bit. Always bring it. Now I have two, in case I can't reach one.

I have had my buddy untangle me from monofilament a few times including once in Cozumel. I have also cut myself free from monofilament a few times while diving solo but it wasn't anything that could not have been handled without a cutting tool. I have used both my folding knife and my shears on a number of occasions to recover fishing gear and anchors.

I wanted to use mine once. On one of my fundies dives, an angler decided to use our dive flag as target practice, and he had whole hunk of lead on the end of that line. I wanted to test out my shears on his steel leader, but I doubt my instructor would have looked very kindly on me doing that. In a repeat situation without an instructor I wouldn't hesitate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

was the size of the knife any consideration?

I'm trying to decide between the Wenoka Big Squeeze or Little Squeeze (or whatever its called lol)

The one that I owe my life to is just a small orange z knife.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom