Heading to Lake Rawlings for the first time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lds922

Registered
Reaction score
Heading there 7/27-29 and got a cabin, 6 divers (2 experienced, 2 intermediate, and 2 novices) Anything to see or do that a first timer to the lake might not know about? Any recent report on conditions?

Also, is there a more detailed map then the one on their website? I'm looking for compass headings to some of the 'bigger' attractions. I know there are lines connecting a lot of them but I want to plan my own little underwater circuit to practice some navigation with the group (I know there is a pre-planned 'course' there but I want to do it and see some of the cooler stuff).

As for the no-knife policy...I'm assuming this is enforced, so I'll leave mine...but are shears/scissors OK, or is anything sharp banned? Not that I feel like I need it, I'd rather just leave the rigs as they are if I can.

We didn't plan this a 'destination' per say (we know it's a quarry...'just wet rocks', etc)...But we are just excited to get some dive time in, everything I've heard is that it's one of the best for what it is!

Thanks in advance.

Enjoy. I've dived there a few times after getting blown out at VA Beach. Quarries are really not my thing, but I got wet. There are interesting things to see and going below the thermocline is always a wake up experience. Since I no longer live in VA, I will likely not dive the lake again. I did miss getting to see the airplane, I would have enjoyed that.

I was there two weeks ago over the weekend. Viz was great, lake was crowded. Lot's of things to see under the water, including things that aren't on the map.

If you're a fan of wildlife, bring a can or two or vienna sausages. Crumble up a few of those and you'll be swarmed with 50+ fish, including trophy sized bass. Lot of fun. Enjoy your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom