cooper river dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never used a helmet so I can give an opinion on how it compares. I do know that I like holding the light in my hand because I can angle it any which way in an instant and I can put it right up next to something in the sand and dirt storm I have stirred up by fanning the bottom. I suppose a helmet AND a light in my hand would be best for me personally.

@ Lee Taylor do you have any problems with those articulating arms getting moved around with the debris that blows by? diggin how ya can move em just woudlnt want em gettin moved by things other then me haha.....I want my top light to be movable and was gonna use some video arms like you did....nice to see someone that has already done it

Hello Mud.... The photos are of a dive pal of mine with a Scubaboard screen name AeroMike. I do not know if he has used the "light helmet" yet. I am very use to holding a light in my hand while digging, fanning, clawing, etc. Holding a light is no big deal to me. Done it so many times it is second nature

I just picked up some "wrap-n-strap"s just for my mini Q40's that didn't come with they mask straps. You can get various lengths (I'm using 6"). The elastomer is pretty cool and works great so far (No wet test yet). I'll get a picture sometime today. You could use two of these to attach lights to the mask straps. Just google "wrap-n-strap". HTH

Mud&Rox,

I like the sound and looksof your light setup, did you come up with it on your own or find plans somewhere else. I will be moving back to Georgia in June '12 and the Cooper is one of the top to do dives on my list!

Take it easy,

Nate

I cant take fill credit by any means....my dive buddie and I have been working on these lights for awhile.....he has made probably 20 light head designs and together we have about 10 canister designs and last summer we really got it hammered out how we want them.....right now were using old military surplus mag lights for the main light head body but once I hone my lathe skills we will be making the light bodies from stock AL. the candle power forum has a TON of info on the LED's and drivers.... all ya really have to do is read up over there then make it water tight.....we spent enough money in the process to buy the best of the best in can lights but there is a certain satisfaction to knowing ya made it yourself. also I had never seen 3 light heads powered by one can which really simplifies things....Taiwanate hit me up when your in the states and mabe we can get some bottom time in and you can see the lights first hand

Awesome! I agree that there is a lot more satisfaction in building something yourself and having it work which is why I'm interested on taking on a light project when I get back. I'm on my way to check out the candle power forum right now. I will definitely let you know when I'm back in the area and would love to meet up for some dives. Till then, take it easy and safe diving!

here is my cooper light set up cooper river dive lights.jpg not the most flatering photo. lol
those are both 24watt hid canister lights mounted to the back of my bc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom