salvus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, last Sunday, my rebuild Salvus went for the first wet tryout in a pool.

I started to dive in original Siebe Gorman goggles and nose plug but as soon as I step down the ladder the rubber strap give up on me -bad sign! I put my regular mask and jumped back.

Ouch!

In a pursue of original configuration, I have rigged curved 10 lbs weight in the weight belt and cross hanged it over my shoulder like a bandoleer strap.

Upon jumping the contraption hit my hip leaving there nasty shiner.

Finally I was walking on the bottom, breathing from the system that was developed closed to the 100 years ago - I felt pretty good.

Mechanically, by this I mean oxygen delivery system, rebreather perform almost perfect. During the dive, I had discovered minor leaks in the main tank valve, as well as, bypass valve. Both, were undetectable, until I submerged the unit underwater. Despite that, I continue to dive for about 20 minute, till I started hearing some gurgling sounds. Upps!

It was the mouthpiece leaking like a bastard - I guess, I gonna have to change to a newer piece and leave the original for show and tell only.

After 20 minutes the sofnolime was soaked and breathing comfort went down significantly - mostly because faulty mouthpiece but also through the plug in the scrubber can. In summary I am pretty happy with the result, all problems are easy to fix.

Here is short clip from that tryout:

https://vimeo.com/46242501

rgrds

Tomek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom