Beware of French Lady

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yes, I also give a vote for Punta Tunich...That can be a REALLY fast ride ! Although, I have logged one crazy ripping fast ride on Paradise once...Whew, that was a rush with an unreal ending. Had to grab on the buoy chains to stop us from slamming into the cruise ships...!!!! So, you know, ya never know for sure.......

Some of us girls think a dive in ripping current is a good time. And I love drift diving. It is like a vacation to me. Relax and enjoy the ride. Here at home, if the current is ripping, we have to stay put on the wreck and get back to the boat. Now that's hard.

I do think that some ops do not do a good job of preparing people for drift diving. So divers try to fight the current and have a miserable time.

So divers try to fight the current and have a miserable time.

Same with new divers diving from a moored live-a-board chasing it as it swings on the mooring not knowing that if they just stay put and wait while doing their safety stop the boat always comes back to the same spot.

I've seen divers burn a lot of air chasing a 120 foot boat swinging on a 100 foot (plus) mooring line only to never catch it.

Full disclosure.. My first dive trip after getting certified back in 1991 was on a Aggressor L-A-Board and I chased it all over Curacao and Bonaire..:D

la francesca is usually one of the the more mild dives on coz. before the hurricane it was one of my top 5 just for the color and life. many of the older (pre video camera) films from coz were taken there. it took more damage than most during the storm and we stopped going there. last year we were hunting lionfish so we tried it. was happy to see that it recovered from the hurricane.
as for drift diving, yes most people love it but some hate it. i do not think it has anything to do with gender. maybe bouyancy control?

Last edited:
Ive dove La Francesca several times and never really experienced any currents that were Ripping or out of the Norm for cozumel, I you want to see some currents dive the north end...San Juan,Barracuda and eagle ray wall.

We spent 11 days in Cozumel at the end of June and the first week of July. The only dive we had strong current was the night dive at Paradise. Go figure.

I don't remember any ripping current at that site, but it's been years. I love a ripping drift dive, again, that's where the life is. We had some great ones in Galapegos.
My best drift dive, just for the wild ride, was in Africa, off Pemba Island. An afternoon dive and the wind had picked up. Our group ended up so scattered that it took the panga driver 1 1/2 hours to pick us all up. We were all over the cove, have hit crazy currents taking us all over the place. The current was strong, like riding in a river. It was a fun ride with tons to see along the way.
Thankfully, there are no motor boats in that peaceful part of the world and we were all within a rather sheltered area, inside a group of islands. We were within eyesight of the panga the whole time, we were just so scattered and the current kept moving us around as he tried to pick us up.
Anyway, put me down as a female that enjoys wild drift diving.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom