Haigh Quarry Virgin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I am just OW certified with 12 dives in warm water (vacation diver) and I have been meaning to go to Haigh Quarry to practice some skills and dive for diving's sake. My dive buddy (gf) does not want to dive anyplace cold or anyplace without color, so she shot me down. I found a relative in the family that dives, and he said he would be down for going there this Sunday. What are some things I should be expecting?

From what I gather, it will be a lot colder than what I am used to, so it will be my first time in fresh water with a 7mm, gloves and a hood. I know visibility won’t be the 50 or so feet I am used to. Anything else?

Hey all,

I am just OW certified with 12 dives in warm water (vacation diver) and I have been meaning to go to Haigh Quarry to practice some skills and dive for diving's sake. My dive buddy (gf) does not want to dive anyplace cold or anyplace without color, so she shot me down. I found a relative in the family that dives, and he said he would be down for going there this Sunday. What are some things I should be expecting?

From what I gather, it will be a lot colder than what I am used to, so it will be my first time in fresh water with a 7mm, gloves and a hood. I know visibility won’t be the 50 or so feet I am used to. Anything else?

Not necessarily colder given the time of year. Haigh has a shallow side and deep(er) side. This time of year, the shallow side is typically quite warm. You may be surprised. Now if you go over on the deep side and drop down below 30' or so, you'll be surprised alright! Temps at depth are usually in the upper 40s to low 50s this time of year.

I haven't been yet this year, but typically viz is pretty poor once the water warms up. I'm sure folks with post here soon who have been recently and can give you current conditions.

It's a fun place to dive so just relax, stay shallow and have fun!

I've only been there once two summers ago but wasn't impressed. Poor vis, not too much interesting to see, and what really turned me off was the crabby ass people running the place. Maybe it was just that day but it seemed like everyone they had working there has a personalityectomy, like they were doing us a favor by being open.

I won't be back.

I've only been there once two summers ago but wasn't impressed. Poor vis, not too much interesting to see, and what really turned me off was the crabby ass people running the place. Maybe it was just that day but it seemed like everyone they had working there has a personalityectomy, like they were doing us a favor by being open.

I won't be back.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but that hasn't been my overall impression and I've been there about a dozen times. I wouldn't make such a sweeping assessment from one visit.

As far as quarries go, it's better than anything Indiana has to offer but (just my opinion) not on the same level as Gilboa. But I do get up there once or twice a season and always enjoy my visit.

As far as not too much to see ... it is a quarry after all! There's a healthy freshwater fish population and a number of items sunk both to dive around and to support the fish life. Compared to the quarries I've been to, and I've been to quite a few, I'd rank it second to Gilboa. I'd put it on par with White Star in OH. All the other quarries I dive are a good distance behind these 3 sites.

Thanks DH. I think I will try to stick to the shallower side. Are there still some cool sunken things to see there on the shallow end? I honestly just want to practice navigation and buoyancy control.

My weighting will really be up in the air since I am diving in fresh for the first time. I was told by the shop that for 7mm, gloves and hood, I would be looking at 10% body weight + 5lbs. Sound fair?

If I find that I am overweighted, is it pretty easy to return the weights?

On the shallow side there is the rock crusher and a couple other pieces of machinery not to mention a portapotty. DH is right about dropping below 30' as the temperatures start to drop. However you might you like to dive along the south wall as long as you stay above 25' it will be very comfortable and a great way to practice your buoyancy. Since this Sunday is the Jim Haigh Memorial Dive it will be crowded so come early. There will be a lot of local dive clubs having BBQs so come and join the fun.

Was there last weekend. Temps drop at 30 ft as been said but my comp said 58 in the hole at 85ft and 60 at 40. Vis was variable based on how many classes had churned an area up.

Overall best quarry ive dove. Love the owners and facilities. Plenty to see if you pay attention. Great for new divers since it has so many different areas. Ive been diving with a newly cert'd friend and working on his skills and we've had 2 great trips there.

I have been to Haigh Quarry several times over the past few years. Really a good place to get wet. As Diver Beth mentioned on the shallow side there is the Rock Crusher, two Rock Drills, an oil tank, and a horse carriage (falling apart now) and lots of fish! I was there July 8. and was diving the shallow side with a 7 mil farmer john with hood and gloves. I got really hot wearing this so ditched the hood and gloves the second dive. The "deep" side, although colder below 30" is also very interesting with assorted vehicles (truck, DUCK, House Boat, etc.). You will want the hood and gloves here but this time of year it is not bad as far as temp and the viz. is better than the shallow side as there are fewer classes in this part of the quarry. Viz can range from zero (Fresh roto-tilling from a class) to 30' sometimes 40' in the deep water below the thermal-cline.
Tina and crew a very accommodating with gear rentals and needing extra or returning weights. I highly recommend them . You will have a great time.:D

OK so I am reporting back from my experience.

I did not know it was the Haigh Memorial Dive until you guys mentioned it. My dive buddy wanted to be there at 7am, so we got there early, but gates didn't open till 8. No big deal, XM radio helped to pass the time. Once we were in, gear rental was CHEAP! (inexpensive that is). I was given a hood, gloves a farmer john and wetsuit. I was surprised how much weight I needed (24 lbs) in fresh water, but that stuff really makes you buoyant! At the surface, it was like bathwater
15 ft: ok
30 ft: chilly
below 40 ft: BRRRRRR!

We did 2 dives. We saw the flamingo grass cutter, rock crusher, a few drill sorta things, boat and sculptures. There were some cool bluegill (I think?) nesting grounds and feeding catfish. I really wanted to practice buoyancy control, but I spent my 2 dives getting used to the new gear! At first it was hot and claustrophobic, but once under 30ft, I barely felt it on me. Vizibility was really poor. At best, I think it was 5ft. There were times where I looked at my dive buddy, got distracted by a fish, and when I looked back for my buddy, silt kickup was so bad I just saw a faint shadow and a bubble!

Despite all this, I want to go back again! I liked being able to dive simply for the sake of diving, without the need to book a flight to someplace exotic. Now I just gotta get my gf to "warm" to the idea :D

Glad you had a good time. The viz was pretty bad today but it's been worse. With so many people everything was getting kicked up. The viz was better on the shallow side but not by much. I thought the temperature was best at about 32 feet my computer said it was about 64. Very comfortable in a 7mm. In the shallows its easy to get overheated. Remember to watch out for those blue gills they do bite and if you don't wear a hood they love to nibble on ears. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom