Path to become a SCUBA Equipment Engineer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRavenCT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm not sure where to post this question. I'm a graduate student in Mechanical Engineering studying environmentally conscious design, and I love SCUBA. I currently work part time sales at a LDS, and am very interesting in being an engineer for a SCUBA manufacturer. I've done Oceanic's regulator clinic, but I haven't done any technician work, yet.

There's not a lot of information about these positions online. Does anyone know how I might make the connections for a career as an engineer of SCUBA equipment? I feel that there must be a need for female mechanical engineers in the field.

I'm not sure what gender has to do with a regulator (unless one of us has been using it wrong all these years) but as far as getting into the field, I do know that the Navy use to have some civilian engineers on staff down in Panama City Beach. They told me they did a lot of mods to civilian equipment. Might want to check and see if they are hiring. If I still knew those guys I would give you some names but your post is several years late :)

Thanks! I'll definitely check that out.

I'm not only interested in regulators, though ergonomics can be an issue for smaller persons, like myself, who like more compact items. But some manufacturers do advertise that Women's BCs are designed by women.

It seems to me that most scuba gear engineers must have sat next to a smarter student in class - where the main thing they learned is how to copy.:crafty:

Scubapro hired some engineers 2-3 years ago, but they stole one from the motorcycle industry to take advantage of knowledge in different areas such as liquid metal casting.

So offering something different could be marketed as a real strength.

Patents are your friend.

If you want to play the female card you'll need to be in marketing.

Do you know anything about patent law/engineers in SCUBA that you could share?

Also, I hesitate to respond, but most designers would point out that the "female card" is no different from the "extremely experienced diver card" or the "young and fresh take card." You have your technical qualifications, and then you have your unique perspective.

---------- Post Merged at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Scubapro hired some engineers 2-3 years ago, but they stole one from the motorcycle industry to take advantage of knowledge in different areas such as liquid metal casting.

So offering something different could be marketed as a real strength.

That's really interesting. Expanding materials and manufacturing methods are probably of interest to the design teams.

DUI was looking for a materials engineer a few months back (if I remember right). What a dream job that would be! Better yet - call some of the manufacturers and ask their department heads. I've yet met a scuba manufacturer where people weren't a pleasure to talk to. I'm sure they could provide you with some fantastic insight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom