MONTANA PEOPLE>>>>>need some airport help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
I am interested in visiting Helena where my dad trained with the First Special Service Force (combined American and Canadial commando unit)>

What is the closest "international" airport I could fly into and then drive to Helena??

Not looking for a closer airport where i would have to puddle jump into and back out of in a prop plane.

thanks......

I go there now and then on business.

Delta has narrow body jet service to HLN with a connection in MSP, and both United and Delta have regional jet service, just pick your flights carefully as they also have regional connectors flying Beech 1900 turboprops.

Otherwise you are looking at about a 3 hour drive from Billings.

I think you could fly into Bozeman, less than a 2 hour drive away. If you don't mind making 2 connections, you can save a good bit of money.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the come back. Will look into both options presented.

The Beech 1900s (No Bathroom or Flight Attendant) only fly through Billings for Silver Airways. Alaska/Horizon also flies Q400s in there which is a turboprop however they are very nice aircraft. I would rather ride on that than any of our CRJ 200s any day.

Speaking of which we (SkyWest) do fly CRJs (All types, yes it is a jet) into HLN from DEN for United Express and SLC and MSP for Delta Connection. Compass also flys E175s for Delta Connection from MSP, also a very nice airplane and it is the narrow body that Aquamaster referred to above. I have flown into HLN a few times but being based in SFO I don't go there often anymore, however if you are a nervous flyer I can certainly try and answer your questions, just send me a PM.

Looking at possibilities a little more, while waiting on my other computer to finish a scan I should have started earlier - Delta does have some nice itineraries into Helena itself. Your needs and goals might dictate a different approach, but they could fly you in with one connection arriving before midnight on a Friday, then on Sunday get you back to RDU with one connection in time for a late lunch if you don't mind leaving early which is all there is for getting you back - all on CRJ-175s. $455 RT or so

Helena is not much bigger than Plainview TX but they do have a few car rental companies, and 4 of their nicest hotels are about a mile from the airport starting at $79. Well, Hotwire claims there is a 4 star hotel in the area, but doesn't say what it is.

The difference between a 3 star and a 4 star hotel is usually just a restaurant in the hotel - a requirement for a 4 star rating.

But based on my experience, the most you will find will be 3 star hotels. A few do have restaurants on-site, but most are in easy walking distance of decent restaurants.

Personally, I like the Holiday Inn Express down town. It's not close to the airport, but they run a free shuttle. It is with in walking distance of several good restaurants, and is located on the end of their walking mall and is close to a couple parks and hiking trails. I usually ask for an 8th floor room on the south side due to the very nice view with a private balcony.

taking notes....taking notes....taking notes....

Anyone ever visit the 1st Special Service Force museum?

never knew it was there...

Back
Top Bottom