Squid at Breakwater Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years back returning from a boat dive..the captain placed us in the path of a pod of Rissos (and then shut the engines off) and soon we were right in the middle of them! Man..talk about some stinky breath!!!

A few years back returning from a boat dive..the captain placed us in the path of a pod of Rissos (and then shut the engines off) and soon we were right in the middle of them! Man..talk about some stinky breath!!!
We have done that. The common dolphins are friendly and will come up right under the boat inches away, but the Risso's keep more distance, by feet. They are bigger than my boat too. We have seen the pod of hundreds of them off of Carmel.

The rissos don't care about boats for the most part, though it seems the pair that kept breaching were following us a bit. Commons, white sides, bottlenose, and norther right whale dolphins will ride the bow wave for as long as the boat keeps the right speed though. I've been on several whale watchings where the boat becomes surrounded by thousands of dolphins. It's an amazing sight.

Last edited:
Any sea nettles at breakwater. I heard last week they invaded the area.
Can't wait to hit water. Sinus infection lasting way to long. It's been 5 weeks now.

There were a few in the mid layer, but that was about it. There were more further out in the bay during my boat dives, but still they didn't seem to be below 30ft.

WOLF1788.jpg

I just see them as photo subjects.

Since the eggs are supposed to start hatching 3 to 8 weeks after being laid, that would be starting the middle of this month. Anyone want to start doing some dives on the weekend to check? I think watching millions of baby squid hatching would be amazing. If anyone is interested, I'd like to start the 25th? It's possible the hatching may start at night too.

Back
Top Bottom