On becoming a Captain...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HogLifer - You must have vision correctable to 20/40 in each eye. In all cases, the uncorrected vision should be at least 20/800. A vision waiver may be granted if the applicant's corrected vision in the better eye is 20/40. You must also have 100 degrees horizontal field of vision.

One other thing I can add is that the ability to identify color is just as important. From what I've heard though is that if you are color blind you can still get a license just with a day only restriction.... maybe some clarification.....

One other thing I can add is that the ability to identify color is just as important. From what I've heard though is that if you are color blind you can still get a license just with a day only restriction.... maybe some clarification.....

Color Blind
I dont have any info to back this up, but I highly doubt that is true...But maybe someone can tell us for sure...

Color Vision
The applicant must have the ability to recognize basic colors in order to recognize color-coded indicator lights, diagrams, piping systems, valves and wiring. Deck Officers must also be able to recognize colored lights that are used on aids to navigation, such as navigation lights on vessels.

Satisfactory completion of any of the following methods is acceptable proof of color sense:
Farnsworth Lantern
Keystone Orhoscope
Eldridge Green Color Perception Lantern
(and there are a few more)
** A restriction would be put on a person's license if they can only see black and white, and cannot operate with their license professionally from sunset to sunrise.

I just Got my TWIC card and what is my next step in the Memphis Area? All of my time was in 88-90 in the Caribbean, are you saying that counts and i need to record that and then log 90 days within a year or just in the last three years, bottom line should i wait till i am closer to the 90 day before starting the year? and these would be Caribbean sea, coastal and Mississippi river logs

I got it on the log time, i guess i am asking how much do i need to do before hand. what forms and where is the "corrent paperwork" (web) to start collecting all that info. things change quick with homeland so i am asking?

I got it on the log time, i guess i am asking how much do i need to do before hand. what forms and where is the "corrent paperwork" (web) to start collecting all that info. things change quick with homeland so i am asking?

Check out this site below its going to explain alot
USCG National Maritime Center

I just read this, this is good stuff. Guys, I hold a 100 ton near coastal masters license. For those of you interested here is the sea service form
http://www.uscg.mil/forms/cg/cg_719s.pdf
Most of the forms can be found online.
The drug tests have always perplexed me as I have renewed my license 5 times already (#6 coming up next month).
There seems to be a lot of confusion on who can do the drug test, however, all confusion goes away if you use a local instruction school such as seaschool on long island or I'm sure Mariners School in NJ.
This year I have it locked and loaded. My friends brother is doing the drug tests for a local USCG approved school.
Good luck to you all.
PS, this license comes with some baggage. Look into it and don't take it lightly. If you end up being a licensed captain on a friends boat, even if you are a passenger, should he get into any trouble, you could be somewhat responsible.

There are some drugs you cannot have in your system at all.
The drug test that is required is a Paneal 5 drug test. Most DOT testing places offer the test.

There are 4 different Masters Licenses a mariner may qualify for such as the Master Inland or Master Near Coastal. Both the amount of sea service time and the size vessels you have been on will influence the license you are eligible for. Masters licenses are tonnage rated at 25 GT (gross tons), 50 GT, or 100 GT. The tonnage you are awarded is determined by the size vessels you've gained experience on in the last 3 years. You are not required to advance through the different licenses one at a time. If you meet the USCG requirements for the master 100GT Near Coastal, you'll get that license as your first license.

The 4 types of up to 100GT Masters licenses are listed below along with the requirements:

Master Inland: 360 days underway experience since age 15; 90 of those 360 days in the last 3 years. Completion of Mariners Learning System™ approved Course and Test.

Master Inland/OUPV: 360 days underway experience since age 15; 90 of those 360 days in the last 3 years; 90 of those 360 days outside the boundary lines. Completion of the Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved Course.

Master Inland/Mate N.C.: 360 days underway experience since age 15; 90 days of those 360 days in the last 3 years; 180 of those 360 days outside the boundary lines. Completion of the Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved Course.

Master Near Coastal: 720 days underway experience since age 15; 90 of those 720 days in the last 3 years; 360 of those 720 days outside the boundary lines. Completion of the Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved Course.

Thanks for sharing this info. I read the whole thread, but I didn't see the answer to my question: Can an uninspected vessel be "converted" to an inspected vessel, in order to allow a captain with a Master License to carry more than 6 paying passengers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom