LUMIX TS4 vs NIKON AW100 vs SONY TX20, do we have a winner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louwhale

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey there,

I'm currently looking at buying my first underwater camera. I've got about $500 to $600 for this (housing included) and it seems after checking out reviews that it will be one of these three. I was initially leaning towards the TS4 but have heard some complaints about leakage issues, so wouldn't it make sense to simply always use the housing even when diving less then 40 feet? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I'm leaving for my DM training in a couple of weeks :), cheers.

I've had a ts2 for a couple of years, and no leakage. But I take very good care of it. Give it a fresh water soak after every day of use in the ocean, and operate all the buttons in fresh water. I have not used it in the housing. Used it down around 40-50 feet.

The thing is that none of these cameras take great pictures. Like I would not bother using them on land, in anything like difficult lighting.

If you want a camera to use with a housing, a better camera might be better.

On the other hand, if you want a camera which is drop proof, dust proof, water proof, all the time, the panasonics are the best bet - most water proof, good shutter lag, and no worse IQ...

You can get a Canon Powershot S95 or S100 with an Ikelite housing for around that price, cheaper if you find a good deal used. They're both great point-and-shoot cameras on land and underwater. They also both provide lots of room for growth of your underwater photography skills, with numerous features like RAW, full manual, etc.

I suggest looking for used, because if you continue with underwater photography, eventually you'll want to pony up the money for external strobes. Don't just buy cheap - buy what suits your goals of photography (and predicted future goals), and if it's too expensive, save up.

I was just going to say something similar. An oly xz1 and their housing new, is a killer combo

The canon and nikon digicams have never had competitive Auto focus speed. The Sonys and panasonics really do have great AF systems, and the latest gen of oly's at last!

The xz1 is a joy to use. I had one for awhile. Now I own an omd, and saving up for a housing.

but out of the ones you mentioned, i think the TS4 might be the way to go....got a TS3 and it is a great little camera.

If you just want a pop in your pocket and take happy snappies, the TS4 should be on the short list. I have the TS3 and adore it. I think it does a fabulous job above and below - for what it is.

There are many other cameras out there that will do a much better job if you're wanting to work at it and you want to more flexibility in your shooting conditions & options. So you've got to decide what your goals are.

Happy to pop some photos up if you need them.

Thanks everyone for the insight. It now seems after reading you guys that I will buy a camera that isn't drop proof, water proof, dust proof as from what I gather it is a compromise on quality. I'm now looking at the non-water proof point and shoot route, something like a Canon Powershot with Ikelite housing, Nikon Coolpix or some sort of Olympus. It seems my original $500 to $600 is now turning into $600 to $700, cost overruns, what else is new...Cheers.[h=1][/h]

The canon p&s have never been as fast as the competition, for their auto focus speed. Same with nikons.

This last generation of olympus are great cameras, all around. Including raw, which makes white balance much easier to deal with underwater. I would definitely put the xz1 first on my list.

Great land camera too.

The panasonic lx5 now lx7, also has great AF and raw. I bought an lx5 last summer, and sent it back. The jpgs just aren't very good, nor are the colors to my liking. So you have to shoot raw, all the time. Some other limitations in exposure modes as well.

@derway, I checked reviews for the Oly XZ1 and it looks pretty good. It seems the only negative point that keeps coming back is the video quality, what do you think about that? Based on reviews, Canon Powershot S95 seems pretty solid all around. Going back to the title of this post, Lumix, Sony and Nikon are now out of the race...it's now OLY vs CANON...Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom