Dive With Own Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrussell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We were thingking about purchasing a boat for diving in the Florida Keys, but I cannot figure out how one would safely dive from their own boat, that is it would be left vacant during the dive. How do others take care of this security problem, never mind the boat becoming unteathered? Leaving someone on board to watch it is the simplest solution I know, but that would be unworkable. Is there some technique I don't get?
Thanks for the help.

Was a case study in a book I just read about a guy doing something similar. Him and his gf drifted for hours, nearing death when the coast guard found them.

Thing is, he was convicted his boat had been stolen when the found it drifting unmanned a few miles away.

Anything can happen when you're under, storms, untethering... It's just not worth it.

The main issue is that the boat remains where it is. This requires the proper type anchor for the type bottom, the proper anchoring technique, a long enough and big enough anchor line and lead chain, a secure, permanent tie off point on the boat. The anchor line should be eye spliced on both ends and attached to the anchor chain on one end and to the boat on the other end with shackles safety wired to prevent any possibility of coming apart. At the beginning of the dive the anchor must be checked that it is securely embedded in the bottom and not dragging nor could possibly drag.
During the dive you need to keep mental or written note to be able to find the anchor at the end of the dive.
You should have a current line at least 100 feet long with afloat on the end tied to the back of the boat for in the event you cannot find the anchor at the end of the dive and have to surface without the anchor line.The current line adds to the length of the boat so you don’t have to swim directly back to the boat but can swim to the line if it is closer.
Also a permanent fixed ladder than allows unassisted boarding.
A diver down flag so others boaters hopefully don’t assume it is an abandoned boat.
A VHF radio to call for help, don’t depend on a cell phone.
A float plan that gives the number of divers, discription of the boat, location of the planned dive and estimated time of return given to someone on shore that can summon help if you don’t return on time
You also have to consider possible weather and water condition changes that could occur during the dive.
If you are new to boating I suggest you get the book Chapman’s on Piloting and Small Boat Handling and take a Coast Guard Auxiliary or US Power Squadron boating safety course.
This list is not all inclusive, just the basics.

Amazon.com: chapman on piloting: Books

The bottom line is that, if you want to be as safe as possible, don't leave the boat unattended.

We will dive off an empty boat if our boat is tied to a permanent mooring buoy. I have dived off an unattended boat where the boat was anchored in very sheltered and very shallow water. But in addition to making sure the boat stays where it is, you also have to be sure you can get BACK to where the boat is, which means avoiding areas with any possibility of strong current or strong wind waves.

All in all, concerns about leaving the boat have severely limited our diving use of our own boat. I haven't had a lot of luck finding people who just want to go out on a boat and sit . . . :)

I swear I will never scuba dive from an unattended boat; again.... I mean it this time. I will not dive from an anchored boat with nobody on board unless I really don't NEED the boat to be there when I get back.

Teach someone to drive the boat, get other buddies, dive solo.. but don't dive from an unattended boat.. is my advice.

Most of the dive sites in the Keys have permanent moorings.

In Key Largo this isn't much of a problem because the moorings are pretty solid. Now, in Daytona, it's probably the scariest thing I do in diving. I keep a good eye on the anchor. The good news is, if I know where the anchor was, I can follow the dragging anchor marks in the sand until I locate the anchor. I haven't lost an anchor yet, but I am a 100 Ton Captain who believes in the 7:1 ratio in anchor line. Yes, 100' in daytona means I'm using a long friggin anchor line.

I'll keep doing it. I considered taking one of my kids to drive the boat, but I'd rather come to the surface with no boat, then come to the surface to find my boat empty.

A lot of people dive alone from their boat... My brothers were fish collecting in Hawaii for yrs diving with the boat empty... Just need to stay on top of were the boat is a all times, Not a good idea for a diver that likes to get lost... We were just down in the keys and left the boat with no one on it... It's really a very common thing... I think it's just like shore diving... And you may find a friend that likes to fish...:wink: They fish and you dive, And everyone wins... Just watch out for the fish hooks....

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom