Ohio Student Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Thisguy. That was an awful experience for everyone involved. It's much better for you and the others to talk it out, with whomever you feel comfortable - and you are certainly welcome to post what you will here, on the accident and your experiences as well.

I appreciate the support. I will answer a few simple questions anyone has about the situation. I will however say this first..it is quite touchy for me at this point. I was holding him by the BC as he lost consciousness and slipped out of my hands and sank to the bottom. We were all certified OW and doing our advanced so we were buddied up. The instructor brought him up as I was unable to stay in the water as I had already breathed ALOT of water(at one point my regulator gave out no bubbles-water in, water out). He sank to 65' and was under for maybe 6 minutes.

I'm sure there is a lot to that story, if you want to share it. I don't want to give you a bunch of questions, and maybe make you feel like you're being picked over. Organize and and share it when you're ready, ok?

thisguy, I wanted to express my sympathy and condolences on the passing of your uncle. May God comfort you and your family in this time of need.

thisguy,

I am saddened by your loss as well. I've dived White Star several times and know a few people who knew your uncle, as my primary buddy is a diver on the NPFD.

You have my condolences.

I appreciate the support. I will answer a few simple questions anyone has about the situation. I will however say this first..it is quite touchy for me at this point. I was holding him by the BC as he lost consciousness and slipped out of my hands and sank to the bottom. We were all certified OW and doing our advanced so we were buddied up. The instructor brought him up as I was unable to stay in the water as I had already breathed ALOT of water(at one point my regulator gave out no bubbles-water in, water out). He sank to 65' and was under for maybe 6 minutes.

Please accept my sincere condolences. I can only imagine how painful this loss is for you and your family. I would encourage you to share your pain and talk about it with your friends and loved ones. Holding everything in may be easier for a time, but after experiencing something traumatic like this, it's critical to get help for others to emotionally work things out.

I too would like to express my sympathy and condolences to "thisguy." I have to say that I would not know how to ditch anything but a traditional weight belt. I have asked my dive buddies on occasion how to do it but that's not something I do every time.

I too would like to express my sympathy and condolences to "thisguy." I have to say that I would not know how to ditch anything but a traditional weight belt. I have asked my dive buddies on occasion how to do it but that's not something I do every time.

Then that's a valuable lesson to take from this. Before doing any dive with a new buddy you should actually remove their weights on land. See what kind of force, motion, etc., you need to use. See if there are any clips you need to undo. If it takes some kind of funky gyrations or release of extra gadgets that would complicate or delay a reaction to a situation where they needed assistance in ditching them, I might reconsider diving with them.

This is also a clear indication of why more rescue type skills should be taught every class. Starting with open water. Helping a diver who has lost the ability to get positive for any reason to ditch their weights and support them at the surface is a really easy skill to teach. As is surfacing a non responsive diver and doing both without becoming a victim yourself. Some agencies still teach these in the open water class.

I require students be able to perform these and a few other items before any con ed training after basic open water or include them.in the classes.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

quicker to press the inflator button.

ditchable lead tends to ditch itself when you dont want.

Well then somebody is doing something wrong.

snip, snip... Before doing any dive with a new buddy you should actually remove their weights on land. snip, snip...

Jim, this is all very well and good for your buddy, but you may not be going to the rescue of your buddy; in fact, with all the divers in the water on a charter, it'll likely be someone totally unfamiliar to you. So if he or she does not have a traditional weight belt (something all divers are familiar with), I'll have to figure it out by looking, feeling, etc. That's why I'll only wear a weight belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom