Blue Angel Staff Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That exact same scenario has happened to Aldora over the last 20 years. Two of the four to do so are still in business, barely.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Don you are missing the point. The DMs, and the reservation people are simply employees of the company. Blue Angel develops and maintains the web page, pays for it and maintains the property. The mailing list is an asset of the business just like the physical propery. Taking that information without permission is no different than taking equipment belonging to the bususness and not returning it. A hairdresser usually rents a chair in a shop, she/he is self employed. Most likely the hairdresser had an agreement with the shop owner that would have allowed contact with only her/his clients should they move. I can't imagine that it was the same situation at BA.
My long-time stylist was an employee of the salon, not an independent. He and a few others left... not under good terms. The damn salon won't even tell anyone where they went. One of the stylists took emails and phone numbers and was contacting her clients and so the salon decided that now as policy, when any of their employees leave, if a client want to find them, they're on their own to do so.

There are shops and dive resorts that I kept going back to because of exceptional DMs and instructors. Sure, all the staff was great, but for me, the experience on the boat and more so, underwater, is what keeps me coming back. A good DM leaving a shop does take business with them if they stay in the same place, just switching shops. Divers will seek out their favs and follow them to a new shop. I've never heard of anyone following a reservations person or shop manager...

Gotta say, I am kinda with Don on this one. If an email lures a customer away I have to guess there is a reason other than getting an email. Keep smiling and doing business in the proper way and your mailing list getting out wont hurt you at all in the long run. At least thats the way I see it.

What does a barber shop/hair salon have to do with anything.....

This is not anything SB members should be worrying about. If you like Blue Angle dive with them. If not dive with whom ever you choose.

The new shop will either make it, or it will fail. I seriously doubt a SB thread will decide the outcome. Unless you KNOW what occurred then you are speculating. Basing your decisions on speculation is a bit foolish.

I for one keep an open mind......

I will stay at Blue Angel but I have never been impressed with the dive op which I used on two occasions. But there are a Ton of dive Ops on Coz and I am sure there are politics beyond our understanding.

What does a barber shop/hair salon have to do with anything.....

This is not anything SB members should be worrying about. If you like Blue Angle dive with them. If not dive with whom ever you choose.

The new shop will either make it, or it will fail. I seriously doubt a SB thread will decide the outcome. Unless you KNOW what occurred then you are speculating. Basing your decisions on speculation is a bit foolish.

I for one keep an open mind......

I will stay at Blue Angel but I have never been impressed with the dive op which I used on two occasions. But there are a Ton of dive Ops on Coz and I am sure there are politics beyond our understanding.
From what I've read here, I don't see that anyone thinks this or any other thread is going to decide the outcome of the business, or are worrying about it. Forums are for discussion, and that's all I see going on here.

Not sure what you're so bothered about. Plenty of much more ridiculous discussions with outrageous speculation find their way on this board and go on for a ridiculous number of pages.

People got an email from a new dive shop. They feel their email address was questionably acquired and made that point. A popular DM was associated with the new shop then pulled out. Are you really that surprised that customers of the shop and/or fans of the DM would want to discuss it? Or that people might have an opinion about it? I really don't see the big deal.

What does a hair salon have to do with diving? Nothing, but it was used as an example of a situation where an employee leaves and uses their contact list to attract new business to their new place of employment.

OBVIOUSLY, stay where you want and dive with whomever you want. Divers come to these boards to get info about where to stay and who to dive with. All I see here is a discussion about a new shop that's being started by some folks that are already known in the Cozumel dive community.

not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that BA is doing the bare minimum to keep you coming back?

If I was unimpressed with a dive op, I would likely try a different one to see if it is better.

not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that BA is doing the bare minimum to keep you coming back?

If I was unimpressed with a dive op, I would likely try a different one to see if it is better.
He stays at the hotel and dives with another Op.

Just to drag this further off topic but -

Let's say for instance you were going to buy an existing business, maybe a dive shop for example. It's a dive shop that has been in business for 20 years, has a solid reputation, and a ton of repeat business. They have a boat, a long term lease on there shop that will be transferred to you the new owner, tanks, equipment, a competent staff, computers, an established marketing campaign etc...

The business generates 2 million a year in sales, has 150,000 in fixed assets (compressors, boat, tables, chairs, BCDs, pick up truck etc...) after expenses and salaries it generates $150,000 in profits.

They want 3 million for the entire business, selling everything including the name. Just before you are going to meet them and sign the final paperwork they tell you, "By the way, just so you know, I'm not including in the assets you are buying our past customer list, we are taking all paper and computer records that contain our past customer information with us, we plan on opening another dive shop and we will be contacting all our past customers and basically try to make sure they follow us to our new business."

Now at that point would you renegotiate the selling price, back out or go through with it? If you'd walk away or renegotiate, then you understand that an established customer base of repeat business is an asset and worth a fixed amount of money. Without the customer base all you're doing is buying used equipment, a sign and a lease on a location, and the guaranteed fixed amount of income the business counted on year after year is now not part of the assets you're buying.

I'd think it would be fair to say anyone with any business experience would walk away from that transaction, which demonstrates how valuable a businesses customer base is and how valuable a businesses proprietary customer information is.

He stays at the hotel and dives with another Op.

oh, now that just makes complete sense :) not sure how I missed it. Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Just to drag this further off topic but -

Let's say for instance you were going to buy an existing business, maybe a dive shop for example. It's a dive shop that has been in business for 20 years, has a solid reputation, and a ton of repeat business. They have a boat, a long term lease on there shop that will be transferred to you the new owner, tanks, equipment, a competent staff, computers, an established marketing campaign etc...

The business generates 2 million a year in sales, has 150,000 in fixed assets (compressors, boat, tables, chairs, BCDs, pick up truck etc...) after expenses and salaries it generates $150,000 in profits.

They want 3 million for the entire business, selling everything including the name. Just before you are going to meet them and sign the final paperwork they tell you, "By the way, just so you know, I'm not including in the assets you are buying our past customer list, we are taking all paper and computer records that contain our past customer information with us, we plan on opening another dive shop and we will be contacting all our past customers and basically try to make sure they follow us to our new business."

Now at that point would you renegotiate the selling price, back out or go through with it? If you'd walk away or renegotiate, then you understand that an established customer base of repeat business is an asset and worth a fixed amount of money. Without the customer base all you're doing is buying used equipment, a sign and a lease on a location, and the guaranteed fixed amount of income the business counted on year after year is now not part of the assets you're buying.

I'd think it would be fair to say anyone with any business experience would walk away from that transaction, which demonstrates how valuable a businesses customer base is and how valuable a businesses proprietary customer information is.

I get your point, and agree, but not exactly the same thing. Blue Angel still has the customer list, even though the new business stole it.

In the US I can't think of any circumstances where an employee would own his employers customer information.

In addition to hairdressers... auto mechanics, dentists, IT consultants, physicians, massage therapists. It happens and is usually a condition of their employment and subject to their termination type but becoming more rare as valuable as the information is nowadays.

With that said, I have no idea what the terms of Jeanie's dismissal was. I avoid reading between the lines and jumping to conclusions. She was always kind and helpful towards me so in the absence of factual information, I'm going to withhold judgement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom