First time diver with question about weird physical sensations after cert dives!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm . . . I wonder, do you have any problems with your neck? The symptoms you are describing could be caused by disc disease in the neck, aggravated by heavy gear hung off the shoulders, and by the neck extension position assumed by a swimming diver.

Hmm . . . I wonder, do you have any problems with your neck? The symptoms you are describing could be caused by disc disease in the neck, aggravated by heavy gear hung off the shoulders, and by the neck extension position assumed by a swimming diver.

I don't have any chronic neck or back pain. That disc disease doesn't sound so cool but I am scratching my head as to what the cause could be. I probably sound like a broken record but everyone I have talked to locally just doesn't have a good explanation. I should add that both Saturday night and again early Sunday morning, once I felt the onset of symptoms I had a couple of glasses of water and that had an almost immediate positive effect. On Sunday early morning, after drinking the water I was symptom free within about 30-60 minutes. I guess it could be psycho-somatic but it does seem a bit strange given that is was almost like clockwork on both occassions for the onset of symptoms. I did feel fine after the DSD dive and the pool work.

You did right by hydrating and postponing your last dive. Better safe than sorry.
Very good suggestions above. I know that I was so exhausted after my first day of cert dives that I "knew" I couldn't do the second day. Somewhere, somehow I geared up, got in the water and all the fatique left.

Talk with DAN, your dive shop should have signed you up with DAN for a free student membership.
Give them a call. Run is past your family physician, they may be able to refer you to someone with medical dive experience.

Did you get your air from the same place as everyone else that dove that day? or did you get air from a different source? use the same tanks? etc. I doubt that it is anything other than your fatigue and dehydration but weird stuff happens with contaminated air. If others are using the same air without the same symptoms then I am sure it's all good.

And another said it could be anxiety as he had previously had suffered from anxiety/panic attacks and one of the signs for him was a tingly/numb feeling in his hands.
f
Anyway everything was great with the exception of the feeling in my hands. The good thing was that this time is was gone much faster and I wasn't as worried about it as I had been.

I'm not a doctor, but I have suffered from anxiety and it can do amazing things to your body. All sorts of sensations and feelings.... it's amazing how many varied physical symptoms it can cause. Not saying there isn't something going on, of course...but trying to make you feel better ...there may be a benign explanation.

This thread is brought to you by the numbers 2010

Perhaps someone told him to use the search function. And perhaps he wanted to participate rather than just read since this is a discussion board. There is often value in reviving an old thread.

More likely he just didn't realise that the thread was from 2010. I think most posters here have made that mistake, I know I have

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom