regulator for pony rig ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP: It sounds like most of the discussion has been about what second stage reg to use with your pony, but as far as first stages go, take a serious look at the Zeagle Razor (note while the link shows both the 1st and 2nd stages, you can purchase just the first stage). It combines both the valve and the first stage into one compact unit that I find to be ideal for a bailout pony.

Drawbacks: You have to use an adaptor to fill it, although that's mollified somewhat by the fact that, if your fill shop has a paintball whip - as many do - they can use that directly without the adaptor. Also, the second stage becomes rather hard-mounted, so you have to clean the whole pony rig as a unit. This also makes the setup less than ideal for any other use (like a stage bottle).

However, all that being said, if your pony is dedicated for use as a bailout, as my 19cf is, the Razor first stage makes it very sleek and compact - not to mention lighter - compared to either a DIN or yoke setup, and it's a good-quality, well-breathing reg from a great company to boot.

I also recommend an OPV (overpressure valve) for whatever first stage you use on your pony, since it's so easy to charge it at depth and then forget about it as you ascend.

To the OP: It sounds like most of the discussion has been about what second stage reg to use with your pony, but as far as first stages go, take a serious look at the Zeagle Razor (note while the link shows both the 1st and 2nd stages, you can purchase just the first stage). It combines both the valve and the first stage into one compact unit that I find to be ideal for a bailout pony.

Drawbacks: You have to use an adaptor to fill it, although that's mollified somewhat by the fact that, if your fill shop has a paintball whip - as many do - they can use that directly without the adaptor. Also, the second stage becomes rather hard-mounted, so you have to clean the whole pony rig as a unit. This also makes the setup less than ideal for any other use (like a stage bottle).

However, all that being said, if your pony is dedicated for use as a bailout, as my 19cf is, the Razor first stage makes it very sleek and compact - not to mention lighter - compared to either a DIN or yoke setup, and it's a good-quality, well-breathing reg from a great company to boot.

I also recommend an OPV (overpressure valve) for whatever first stage you use on your pony, since it's so easy to charge it at depth and then forget about it as you ascend.

that is a slick looking setup, I have never seen a first stage with an integrated spg, and seems like a great idea vs. my bent/bungeed 6" high pressure hose.

that is a slick looking setup, I have never seen a first stage with an integrated spg, and seems like a great idea vs. my bent/bungeed 6" high pressure hose.

While it doesn't come with a button SPG in the HP port, I use one and I'll bet 99% of Razor users have one as well. So the only hose coming out is for your second stage. Might still need to bungee that, depending on how you carry your pony. I backmount, so I necklace the 2nd.

I have never dived with a pony bottle so I don't know what issues one runs into when diving with one. I would have thought that using a pony bottle over an H valve would eliminate the immediate need to isolate in a freeflow situation, and that alone would make it a simpler option. What problems can you run into when diving with a pony bottle?

The biggest problem is if you donate air using a single first stage, you increase the chance of a freeflow on your kit. If you have two first stages, after donating, the two of you are breathing off different first stages. This means that your chance of freeflow is effectively unchanged (I suppose you have two places it can occur, if you want to be picky). If your OOA protocol calls for things like handing off ponys, or switching yourself to a pony while you donate your backgas, then youve got two-on-two again, but someone's on a much smaller reserve, and IMHO it complicates things. There is the

Chance that you forget to regularly test the pony regulators as they aren't used every dive.
Chance that the pony has a different gas than you need/intend.
Chance that the pony has insufficient volume.
Additional clutter and weight.
Chance that it gets left behind is somewhat higher, and you might dive without it if you do.

I don't think practicing isolating is any different to practicing deploying a pony, either of which you'd need to be proficient in to solve this problem. I know some people have physiological problems reaching valves, which could change things around.

---------- Post Merged at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:24 AM ----------

That SPG looks like the same one that Trident sells. I use one on my argon.

one last question on the pony bottle set up. i am currently using a cobra 3 for my dive computer but is was wondering if i could switch to a wireles configuration and monitor my primary and pony tank pressure with one computer ?

one last question on the pony bottle set up. i am currently using a cobra 3 for my dive computer but is was wondering if i could switch to a wireles configuration and monitor my primary and pony tank pressure with one computer ?

Here are some words of wisdom:

Just make sure that you can reach the valve if necessary (free flow?) and that you can see your gauge to monitor you gas supply. I would also suggest that you have a way to definitively identify which reg is the pony reg by making it different from your primary/octo, preferably by touch and sight so there is never confusion about which reg you might be breathing off of.

Similarly, the beauty of a slung pony bottle with its own SPG is that you will not confuse your main tank pressure with your pony bottle pressure. A wireless system may (or may not) present the possibility of SPG confusion. Also, if your main tank SPG dies you can always steal the one of your pony...

It could but you would need an additional sending unit for the pony. However, that would be a waste of money IMO. All you need is a "small gauge to tell you the pressure. There is no benefit to having your pony on your computer IMO.

Ditto what Steve just said. You certainly could, but that's a whole lotta $$$ for essentially zero functionality. At least if we're talking strictly a bailout pony, not one that's part of your gas plan. It would be like getting a wireless digital pressure gauge for that mini donut spare tire in your car, when all you really gotta know is that it's full when you head out.

The button SPG's are about perfect for this application. I use an OMS unit, not even sure they make it anymore, but no matter they all seem about the same.

The biggest problem is if you donate air using a single first stage, you increase the chance of a freeflow on your kit. If you have two first stages, after donating, the two of you are breathing off different first stages. This means that your chance of freeflow is effectively unchanged (I suppose you have two places it can occur, if you want to be picky). If your OOA protocol calls for things like handing off ponys, or switching yourself to a pony while you donate your backgas, then youve got two-on-two again, but someone's on a much smaller reserve, and IMHO it complicates things. There is the

Chance that you forget to regularly test the pony regulators as they aren't used every dive.
Chance that the pony has a different gas than you need/intend.
Chance that the pony has insufficient volume.
Additional clutter and weight.
Chance that it gets left behind is somewhat higher, and you might dive without it if you do.

I don't think practicing isolating is any different to practicing deploying a pony, either of which you'd need to be proficient in to solve this problem. I know some people have physiological problems reaching valves, which could change things around.

Thanks. It makes me wonder. In a cold water situation, should you be diving with an octo at all then if you are using a pony bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom