Diving on Vacation. What to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darrel Conger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Most of my dives have all been local freshwater quarry dives. In Texas we call it mud hole diving. I did make 3 dives after getting certified in 2009 off Cozumel when all I owned by was regulator and computer. I am going to be in Maui for 10 days at the end of November. I plan on doing 1 shore dive of Wailea for some blue water experience and then 3 days of 2 tank dives by boat. My quandary is what to take.

I am for sure going to take my mask, fins, booties, regulator and computer. What I can't decide on is my BC and other equipment like safety gear. One consideration is that I have not worn a jacket style BC in 3 years and thats what most of the boats use. I have thought about renting a jacket style for a weekend of dives in October just for the experience. A few questions

I normally have on me a SMB with reel, EMT knife (can I put this in checked bag), EMT sheers, light, light with strobe, spare mask and a 3cf Spar Air ( I know but around here its only 30 feet max and I plan on getting a pony for anything deeper). When you rent all your gear on a boat do they usually include any safety gear? How common are redundant air sources like a pony bottle available for rent? Has anyone ever fedexed their equipment instead of taking it on the plane?

I tend to be the cautious type and I really like having a few breaths available to me just in case. I have played the mental game how long will it take me to get my dive buddies attention and octo.

Thanks

Whether you take your own BC or not is up to you. Most dive op have ones to rent, whith will save on packing for you. I think an SMB and EMT shear would be good to bring, but I personally would bother with the rest. Take a light if you are planning on night dives only, othwise it's useless weight. Don't worry about a pony. They are great when solo diving, but on a trip are overkill.

It's a vacation. Breath in, breath out, relax.

I have only one over seas trip for SCUBA and that was a cruise to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. In every port I saw the other divers, who rented their gear just walk away after the dive to relax while I was rinsing my personal gear (mask, fins, regulator, computer, DSS backplate and wing). But I also saw what they wore during the dive; BCDs with inflator hoses bubbling more air than their 2nd stage exhaust, regulators that were not that well maintained etc. Glad I had my own. You will not regret taking all your own gear and renting only your tank and weights. Gloves are not allowed in some places but bring them, leave the dive knife home and just bring the shears. A singal sausage is a good idea as is the Nautilus Lifeline just in case you surface and there is not boat there when you surface (it happens). Dive lights, if planning any night dives, yes, if not, bring a small one for nooks and crannies.

I agree you don't need the pony bottle - ever. I don't believe TSA will let you bring it anyway.

I see you have already done the math on the spare air and know 3CF is good for 30 feet or less, and maxes out at 60feet depth. Time it takes to get buddies attention and octo? 3 seconds flat! Works like this: - Second 1, oh, oh! out of air! Second two, reaching over to my dive buddy, second 3, breathing off his regulator, second 4 - dive buddy is saying oh, oh! what happened to my regulator? second 5 dive buddie locates his octo, second 6 ,dive buddy is breathing off his octo, second 7 dive buddy is giving me the What the F*#! man? Second 8, I appoligize and swape regulators. Begin assent to surface. OK, so I am buying the beer tonight. It would serve me right for not checking my air often enough and my buddy right for not checking his emergency air (on my back) often enough.

Last edited:
I needed a soft bag for our dive gear on our liveaboard trip in Belize I went to the Army Navy store on Harry Hines and bought 2 big zippered duffel bags that worked great for our BC,fins, wet suit, save a dive kit, lights etc. for $20 each and checked them in, regs computers camera etc we put in our carry-on

I brought my regs, mask, computer, and compass, as well as my dive camera set-up. The other equipment, I can handle if it's not the quality to which I'm used, plus I didn't want to overstuff my carry-on.

if you are just vacationing and want to sneak in a dive or 2... then
reg - if you have an hygen thing
mask - not all mask fit and some people just comfortable with their own
dive card - need i say more..
the rest of the stuff just take up space...

if you are going on a scuba diving vacation.. then bring everything that you need. you bought them.. might as well use them!

I have never seen a pony bottle available to rent. We always bring our own since I never make a dive deeper than 80 feet without it! (I am a Jersey diver) Tsa does allow ponys in carry-on empty with the valve out. I have a pvc plug with a small hole that I screw in as soon as I am passed security to keep dust out.

I travel overseas often and pay the extra charge to bring dive gear. It will save you money in long run rather then renting equipment. I only rent tank and weights. Most rentals are not serviced often enough I find, free flowing second stages, leaking BCD's, suits that must of been pissed in many times. Also make sure you bring all those extras (o rings, clips, batteries... they cost 10x more) I am not talking about Maui, I've never been there. Enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom