Ontario Shipwreck Hunting laws or hassles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I dug into the subject a little bit more. I talked to a few student archeloegeists[SIC], and few others who know the OHA and said that in order to search for shipwrecks or objects of historical value, I must apply for a permit, register the device, and be a "professional" archeleogeist[sic].nthe permit process can take quite a few months and I must have a government official onboard when I find something. Now on the other hand if I lost my swim ladder or outboard motor, I may sidescan to my hearts content without government even caring. Now ain't this confusing?
Jared
Nope not confusing at all. I would also argue that it's not a shipwreck or object of historical value until you have dove it and verified it can be identified as that.

Are you trying to suggest that government bureaucracy makes more sense on your side of the border? I do understand what the law is about. They're trying to prevent people from searching for wrecks and stripping them of historical artefacts, because too many of our wrecks have been stripped in the past. Like many laws, it might be a good idea, but suffers from a lousy implementation.

On our side of the border we might have a drone launch a missile on us when we come back from 30 miles out in the lake after being gone for 2 days! I agree with protecting the wrecks and artifacts. I also think time and mother nature will decide what happens to them and not the government. Well I think I might start the permit process soon then.:banghead:

---------- Post Merged at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:49 PM ----------

On our side of the border we might have a drone launch a missile on us when we come back from 30 miles out in the lake after being gone for 2 days! I agree with protecting the wrecks and artifacts. I also think time and mother nature will decide what happens to them and not the government. Well I think I might start the permit process soon then.:banghead:

You can't police it so why discuss it. Most of the already taken arctifacts off of none wrecks are sitting in the living rooms and man caves of sport divers on both sides of the border from many years back to present. There are plenty of chest beating organizations that say this and say that about protecting wrecks but are made up of grave diggers themselves that hide behind titles to make themselves look caring. BS goes along way in the diving community it seems these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom