Great Sacandaga or Lake George

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamiller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Diving either Great Sacandaga or Lake George one day between 13-16 Aug;

Anyone interested in joining that knows the area or willing to give up some secrets, I would appreciate any and all intel.

Plan is to either dive the sunken bridge span at the dam (Conklingville) or do a Lake George wreck/Diamond island charter.

Flexibility is my middle name, but I have a limited time to do the dive since I am travelling from LA (Lower Alabama) to see my parents in CNY on leave.

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks, that seems like it would be easy enough...about 20 miles away from Great Sacandaga and even closer to lake george; that may help out considerably!

Thanks!
Michael

I'd love to go, but I'm out of town that week. If you want to get in any time before the 10th I'd be game.

Neither one is great. Neither is even very good. But there are spots for diving in both. There's an old bridge at the north end of Sac Lake underwater, leftover from before the dam was built.

Diving all over the gulf of mexico prior to the 10th; Diving the USS Oriskany 11 aug (fitting before a trip to CNY, I think).

Small window between 13 & 17 Aug to do a two tank, NY dive...the closer to where my folks live (Mohawk), the better.

---------- Post Merged at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Sorry, did not mean to hit the report button...totally meant to hit "reply" fingers not cooperating!
Mike

Lake George with Halfmoon charters it is; expect pictures of the Forward and Diamond Island in the not too distant future (if visibility & weather cooperates)!

Frank at Half Moon runs a small personal dive boat. You should enjoy it.

He is a member of our local club. I have only dived the Radeau in Lake George with him myself, once, but it was a good experience. Others in the club dive with Frank more often.

PICT0006.jpgThis is just 1 of 110 pictures that I took in Lake George; Frank and his wife run a wonderful service through Halfmoon Charters. Well worth the drive and a great service for the price!

the visibility was about 22' (measured with the visibility gauge in "the classroom" at the Forward site. Water temp. 78 on the surface, 66 at around the 45' mark (significant thermocline with an extreme temp change that was very noticeable), still comfortable on a 3/2 full suit with a hood. Had a great dive at the two sites, no rush on the surface, and even found an abandonded anchor (off diamond island wall). Very personalized and individual feel to the service. Lots to look at...big fish, small fish, zebra mussels, snails, and of course the wreck site(s) themselves (Penn Yann & the Forward). The second dive was the wall dive off Diamond island, again great vis, great time had by all overall! Would definitely do some more Lake George diving when I have the time.

Would love to see more phots when you get a chance! Frank is a great Captain! Next time you need to dive the Radeau, it is the oldest intact warship in North America. Maybe we can hook up the next time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom