Newbie making sure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are new to the sport,, in fact open water not scheduled til Sept 10. We purchased gear from Divers direct, and both have MARES MV12S regulators. I want to get a Faber Blue Steel HP tank because of its smaller profile for my wife but want to make sure the regulator will work safely with a HP tank.. The MVS seems to be kind of a hybrid regulator made for a short while by MARES,, but the specs show it as a good regulator so I am happy with that.. Manual info is limited but seems to say that the 1st stage is rated at 180-200 bar with a yoke filling which it has. The cylinder is dual compatabile. Isn't that rating a little low for a 3442 PSI tank. I know BAR ratings can be decieving .. Want to make sure I am O.K. as is

Looking at Divers Direct web site, the MV12s regs has the MR12s 1st stage.
Copied from a manual I have.
FIRST STAGE
For the second stage to work properly, the first stage must deliver air at a correct and - most importantly - constant intermediate pressure.
This characteristic, provided by all Mares first stages, is essential for obtaining optimal adjustment of the second stage and ensuring top
performance for the entire duration of the dive, regardless of tank pressure. All MARES first stages are available with the following types
of tank valve fittings: international YOKE CGA 850 adapter (max pressure 232 bar), or DIN 477/50 connector (max pressure 300 bar), in
accordance with the standard EN 250: 2000.
DFC system
The exclusive Mares DFC system fitted on the MR12 and R2 first stages minimizes the intermediate pressure drop that occurs in all
regulators during the inhalation phase (Fig. 4). This phenomenon is even more marked when higher airflow is demanded of the regulator.
The DFC system substantially reduces breathing effort and inhalation resistance, especially during deep dives and under demanding
conditions. The MR12 and the R2 first stages incorporates the DFC system on the primary LP port. Operation of the other low pressure
ports (for octopus, inflator, etc.) is standard.

Thanks.. I am still a little confused though more than likely because of my lack of understanding of the true meaning of the BAR rating. My units came with a yoke fitting, the HP cylinder has a combination yoke or DIN so I can connect the regulator to the tank.. The dive shop assures me that the regulator will function fine and safely as is , with a yoke fitting.. However, the BAR rating does not seem to equal the 3442 PSI rating of the tank. I am sure its my lack of knopwledge here, but thata why I was hoping to get an assurance from the MARES rep here. Better safe than sorry

1 Bar = 14.7 psi (1x atmosphere)
Yes your tank is rated to 3442 psi but you'll find no dive shop/filling place which will fill them to that level. The fill could be up around 3300 but that will drop back on cooling.
The regulator working performance will handle 300bar, it's the yoke fitting that is only rated to 232bar(3410psi). Barring in mind all ratings are a smaller % than what they can actually handle. Not that I'm saying one should push the limit!

Not sure about diving gear, but typical industry standards for high pressure pneumatic equipment is for test pressures to be at least 1.5x the safe working pressure.

Thanks to both,, I kinda of figured it was o.k. and from what you are saying it appears to be no problem.. Still hoping to get the MARES rep here to view and respond on behalf of the company.. If shops are saying its o.k. to use on a HP tank, if something goes wrong,, will MARES say too bad, I used it outside of their written specs if thats the case then the dive shops would need to advise same. I purchase it as is on that assumption. I know i can get the regulator with a 300 BAR DIN fitting, point is shops say its not needed and sell it as so.

... if something goes wrong,, will MARES say too bad, I used it outside of their written specs if thats the case then the dive shops would need to advise same. I purchase it as is on that assumption.....
I would not loose any sleep over it. If the yoke were to fail, you in all probably would not know or care. Your widow however is a different story. Keep in mind if the yoke were to fail, the frst stage is pointed at the back of your head. As the air is most commonly turned on only when you are ready to put the tanks on, the odds are you will be wearing the rig at the time.
Here is the BAR to PSI information you wanted.

1 pound per square inch = 0.0689475729 bar
3442 PSI = 237.317117 PSI BAR Converter

A Local dive shop would only fill my HP100 to 3000 if I had the Yoke plug in, but would fill to 3442 with it out. Their reason was the rated service (working) pressure of the yoke. They are now pumping to 3442 on the tank with the yoke plug in. But it is not uncommon for a dive shop to not fill past 3000 PSI on a yoke plug.

Solution, convert your 1st stage to the DIN or just fill to 3000 PSI with the yoke plug in place or take your chances.

1 Bar = 14.7 psi (1x atmosphere)
Yes your tank is rated to 3442 psi but you'll find no dive shop/filling place which will fill them to that level. The fill could be up around 3300 but that will drop back on cooling.
Standard HP fills in Florida is 3600 PSI. Unless you go North to Cave Country, where you can get 4000 PSI fills even on LP's

Sorry to make this go on forever. Just added info.. I had also e mailed the TECH which the MARES website directed me to with this question,, told him that I had the MV12S,, wanted to connect to a cylinder that was 3442PSI rated and the cylinder was both DIN and Yoke compatible. His answer was"You will need to have a 300 BAR DIN valve as your 200 BAR will not work." This response came from
Bradley Campbell, MARES DIVING-DIVE WARRANTY
Boca Raton FL.

It seems at least from this that the company would not honor warranty even though their retailers appear to say it is ok. Still hoping the MARES rep at this Website might respond and help clear up confusion.. Yes i can purchase and install a 300 BAR valve, but others might be operating under a mistaken assumption

My wife and I are new to the sport,, in fact open water not scheduled til Sept 10. We purchased gear from Divers direct, and both have MARES MV12S regulators. I want to get a Faber Blue Steel HP tank because of its smaller profile for my wife but want to make sure the regulator will work safely with a HP tank.. The MVS seems to be kind of a hybrid regulator made for a short while by MARES,, but the specs show it as a good regulator so I am happy with that.. Manual info is limited but seems to say that the 1st stage is rated at 180-200 bar with a yoke filling which it has. The cylinder is dual compatabile. Isn't that rating a little low for a 3442 PSI tank. I know BAR ratings can be decieving .. Want to make sure I am O.K. as is

If you're worried, then remove the Yoke fitting and install a 300 BAR (most are 300BAR) DIN fitting. Yes, this can be done as my LDS did so for my MR12-DFC Navy regulator many years ago. Be aware that when you travel or rent tanks that most dive operations predominantly use K-Valves on their rental tanks. If you chose to go with a DIN fitting then buy a K-Valve converter when you travel or simply have the LDS install the original Yoke fitting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom