Depth Awareness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The sound of bubbles seems to change with depth--

agree, sound is relative to resounding air space Frequency = 1/wavelength = size of airspace

deep = smaller bubble size, shallower = larger bubble size , longer wavelength therefore lower sounding bubble !!!

The reason I asked is that some Quarry's get very cold at that depth (4 degress C), and a redundant first stage starts to become necessary.

Anyone, other than dark and cold, your only biological indication of depth is narcosis, and apart from not being very accurate, it is more likely to prevent you from diligently watching your depth guage than let you know how deep you are.

Don't add other tasks such as taking pictures until you stop being surprised at things like how deep you are or how much air you have left.

agree, sound is relative to resounding air space Frequency = 1/wavelength = size of airspace

deep = smaller bubble size, shallower = larger bubble size , longer wavelength therefore lower sounding bubble !!!

Why would bubbles be smaller when deep?

The reason I asked is that some Quarry's get very cold at that depth (4 degress C), and a redundant first stage starts to become necessary.

Anyone, other than dark and cold, your only biological indication of depth is narcosis, and apart from not being very accurate, it is more likely to prevent you from diligently watching your depth guage than let you know how deep you are.

Don't add other tasks such as taking pictures until you stop being surprised at things like how deep you are or how much air you have left.

Don't get me wrong, I check my instruments meticulously so knowing my actual depth and air isn't the issue. It was a comment made by another diver about 'their feeling' at depth that got me wondering whether you could really know how deep you were without deferring to the instruments.

In the local quarries much beyond the 25m level there isn't much worth seeing.

As for the sound of the bubbles, seems far too complicated so sticking the the instruments it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In a given location, deeper means colder and darker. It also means a bigger, scarier number on the depth gauge. Any combination of those can make the depth seem scarier.

Most people are surprised to learn that 100 feet "feels" the same as 15 feet. However, changes in light and temperature do vary and give a clue as to depth. No substitute, though, for monitoring you gauges often.
DivemasterDennis

Don't get me wrong, I check my instruments meticulously so knowing my actual depth and air isn't the issue. It was a comment made by another diver about 'their feeling' at depth that got me wondering whether you could really know how deep you were without deferring to the instruments.

Yup, they are pretty much full of it. Keep doing what you are doing and keep a frequent eye on those guages. Especially when you are cruising along and see something interesting you want to look at. It's really easy to plan a dive for 100' and see something cool then look at your gauge and be at 120'. (Insert different numbers as you see fit.) It may or may not percieve many differences in the dive environment but you are in fact much deeper.

I get a ringing in my ears ~50m on air. I think the alien technology and/or government tracker implanted in my skull doesn't like the pressure?!?

That's probably Spongebob, calling to tell you he sees you at the end of his street there, and it looks like you've maybe been doing a little partying…

As far as the bubble sound goes, I don't know what's going on physically to cause it. It seems like exhaled bubbles should probably start out the same size independent of depth, but the gas in them should be more condensed the deeper you are. Does sound travel differently through denser gas? If so maybe it would sound different. Maybe there's nothing that is really happening in the physical world at all, but only my perception of the sound that changes due to a little narcosis. All I know is that somewhat below 100', bubbles start to take on a metallic jangly kind of sound.

Back
Top Bottom