Where to go in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of these people have given you great info. Like PatW said it really comes down to what you prefer. In the keys the reefs are shallower and full of tons of marine life and coral. I live in Jupiter, FL where we drift dive. I like drift diving a lot. The boat drops you off at a reef and just follows you down the ledge. You can cover as much as three miles on one dive, its great! Also right now in Jupiter there are a TON of Goliath Grouper, they will be here for the next month or so in huge numbers but you can always find them in Jupiter around the ledges or wrecks. Also Jupiter has tons of sharks and sea turtles. The good dive spots are usually 70 -90 feet and there is also a deeper ledge which is about 100 - 140. As for dive spots off the beach in Jupiter, there really is not much. The Blue Heron Bridge is about 20 minutes from Jupiter and is a fun spot to go to when the waves are too big to go off shore. If you want to see some video's from Jupiter just check out my threads in the Gopro section.

How much time do you have? I would suggest doing Key Largo and West Palm. The diving is great in both places yet very different. Key Largo gives you the feel of the islands where West Palm is a big city. Both are great.
We dive with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo and Narcossis Dive in West Palm. They are both awesome dive ops and both put guides in the water if you want to use them.
Have fun!!!
Lynn

I agree with Dan that Singer Island would be a great location. there are some very nice hotels and the spouses can relax in the sand while you dive with nearby operators: and there are a number of those close by. In fact, Pura Vida dive shop is right on Singer Island: I've never been on their boat but have shopped at their retail location. Some of the the hotels are walking distance to a handful of restaurants too (or have an on-site restaurant). I think Force-E's dive shop, where I do much of my shopping, and South Florida Dive Journal's website, respectively, have some package deals. Jupiter would also be nice, but you'd definitely need a car since you really can't walk from many of the hotels to the beach or to the dive shops (no shuttles that I know of) or to restaurants. There are a couple of exceptions to this like the Jupiter Beach Club.

Another option is Lauderdale by the Sea: there are some cheesier but clean hotels down that way and the beach is also nice. Plus you can get in some ocean shore diving. I really like Lauderdale by the Sea, since it is a very laid back lifestyle and I like those restaurants right by the pier on Commercial Blvd. I think Gold Coast Scuba has some dive and hotel packages. The big risk, as noted by Dan, is that marine conditions are variable in the winter and can be anywhere from flat calm to seas that no boat would venture out into. WPB gives the option of a Blue Heron Bridge Dive, while no where else in the area really provides an option if marine conditions are bad unless you drive 3 or 4 hours to springs in central Florida (or to Disney to dive in the Epcot tank). The side benefit to Lauderdale by the Sea is that you'd be closer to the night life in Miami if the weather does not allow for beach time or diving.

The weather off of West Palm in February and March is a crap shoot. A northeast breeze pushing against the the prevailing north current and everyone will be sitting around the pool, or you could be offshore losing your lunch.

If I were buying plane tickets, reserving hotel rooms and looking for a relaxing dive vacation in a tropical settings, I would be going to the keys. Wouldn't even give it a second thought. If you want to dive a bridge do it in the keys and you will be taking a fresh grouper or Lobster to Lazy Days for the best Seafood Dinner you ever had.

............... If you want to dive a bridge do it in the keys .................

Reck: which bridge do you dive in the Keys: I've always thought a beach dive would be great but the only firm information I've come up with is some of the old quarries used to mine lime stone for the overseas railroad (dark and not much to see) or a couple of the lagoons that are mostly used for training.

For bugs I like the bridges around Upper Matecumbe (Tea Table, Indian Key, Lignum Vitae), Channel two is great too. Both are high boat traffic areas, especially on weekends, so weekdays are better. There can be a alot of fisherman too. Just get your bugs and get out! Make sure you have a very visible flag and only surface where a boat is less likely to go.

For spearing you have to go south of Long Key. Start there and work you way south. Sometimes it's easier to drop a live Pinfish off the bridge!

For bugs I like the bridges around Upper Matecumbe (Tea Table, Indian Key, Lignum Vitae), Channel two is great too. Both are high boat traffic areas, especially on weekends, so weekdays are better. There can be a alot of fisherman too. Just get your bugs and get out! Make sure you have a very visible flag and only surface where a boat is less likely to go.

For spearing you have to go south of Long Key. Start there and work you way south. Sometimes it's easier to drop a live Pinfish off the bridge!
Reck Diver,
Have you ever dove Fort Pierce or Stuart, from 10 miles to 20 miles out or so? Huge Lobsters....Many more than you can take....and as to spearing....the volume of Grunts we have on many reefs in Palm Beach, can be matched by groupers all over the bottom. Most of my dives there were on reefs or wrecks from 150 to 240 feet deep, but the ecosystem is huge....Recreational depths like the wreck of the Rankin and many of the 90 foot ledges, are fantastic.

Downside is the drive north for me...I am not used to having to drive an hour or more to dive( more like 15 minutes:)
And, vis tends to be poor most of the time....though not a big deal for Lobster diving or spearfishing.

**Note...Regarding the OP, I would be surprised to hear that Lobster diving or Spearfishing were very high on the priority list :)

The Blue Heron Bridge at West Palm Beach has a world class muck dive. It is loaded with all sorts of strange and wonderful little creatures. It is one of my favorite dives. Now, such a thing is a bit of an acquired taste. It would not appeal to everyone.

One perk to planning the trip as a West Palm Beach dive vacation, is that in the winter months you are interested in, a bad weather day just means you are diving at the BHB Marine Park, rather than on a reef or wreck. I have been diving in the BHB Park even with severe storms raging, and still had a great time...it is protected water, so it is much more like a very small lake in a storm.
Come to think about it, the next time we get a really severe storm..like the Hurricaine now headed toward Florida, I am thinking a video of the BHB on the surface, and in the water might be cool :)

We agree with the BHB suggestions. If you are in South Florida, you should plan a day to explore the Bridge. You will find some cool critters like this guy:
[INLINE=center]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/165815_472155706128645_2084981132_n.jpg[/INLINE]

OP -

Since you all want to go there Feb/March, the water in Fort Lauderdale and Jupiter tend to be rough. I went out a lot and about half of the divers vomited due to bumpy ride. I have stong stomach and I can go out anytime. But if you do have strong stomach, then I do not see why not! I used Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter, FL. Nice operation. I also used Sea Experience in Fort Lauderdale - it is a heavily cattle boat, but people are quite nice and helpful. I also used American Dream II in Fort Lauderdale - people are friendly. I would prefer American Dream II over Sea Experience because it's less crowded.

If you do get sea sick easily, then go to the Keys. They have everything that yall need. I suggest Key Largo - but not much of shopping. My favorite dive charter is Quiescence. Awesome staff and they only take 6 people max. They have 3 boats, I believe. Key West is awesome - filled with bars, shopping, restaurants, hotels, and etc... I used South Point Scuba charter in Key West.

Make sure yall stop at the Fish House in Key Largo, and get Kahula Colada (best drink ever) and they have great seafood as well. Hobo's in Key Largo is a great cafe.

Have fun!

OP -

Since you all want to go there Feb/March, the water in Fort Lauderdale and Jupiter tend to be rough. I went out a lot and about half of the divers vomited due to bumpy ride. I have stong stomach and I can go out anytime. But if you do have strong stomach, then I do not see why not! I used Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter, FL. Nice operation. I also used Sea Experience in Fort Lauderdale - it is a heavily cattle boat, but people are quite nice and helpful. I also used American Dream II in Fort Lauderdale - people are friendly. I would prefer American Dream II over Sea Experience because it's less crowded.

If you do get sea sick easily, then go to the Keys. They have everything that yall need. I suggest Key Largo - but not much of shopping. My favorite dive charter is Quiescence. Awesome staff and they only take 6 people max. They have 3 boats, I believe. Key West is awesome - filled with bars, shopping, restaurants, hotels, and etc... I used South Point Scuba charter in Key West.

Make sure yall stop at the Fish House in Key Largo, and get Kahula Colada (best drink ever) and they have great seafood as well. Hobo's in Key Largo is a great cafe.

Have fun!

Not sure what you are getting at...the Keys gets blown out whenever Lauderdale or Palm Beach is blown out...
If you get sea sick easily, I would think suggesting a dive site that is 5 minutes or less from the quiet water of the inlet...You do have this in Palm Beach and probably in Lauderdale, but I am pretty sure all the big Keys dive tourism /dive sites are a pretty long boat ride.... this being pretty rough on a person engaged in projectile vomiting :)
I seem to recall never having less than a 40 minute boat trip on any Keys operator I ever went out on...Would you correct me on this please, if I am mistaken about good sites close to the boat slips?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom