Dive photos from Aug 4-14 Comments and Criticism are welcome...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very, very nice eye & photos! I love the B&W moray and many of your macro non-fishy photos.

Fish ID corrections:
Image 5412: The coney is being cleaned by a goby, not a wrasse. The two gobies here that look like that are broadstripe & barsnout and your little one looks more like broadstripe to me.

Image 5660: There is no critter in the Caribbean called a Chainlink Moray. There's a Chain Moray but it doesn't look anything like this, which is a very golden Goldentail.

Gracias!

Yay Deborah! I was hoping you'd jump in and help me with IDs. I didn't think that "chainlink" was right. Another DM told me that was what it was but I'd never heard it called that. I've updated the descriptions on Flickr.

Something new I learned: 5667 sometimes goes by "Jack Knife" or "Jack Knife Fish." Apparently when a Juvenile Spotted Drum is tiny it's called be either name. Miguel from CozumelDigitalCreations pointed that out to me.

If you have any other feedback, please post it! I can take the criticism. In fact, I welcome it. There's no better way to improve...

What aquarium did you take those at? Just kidding... Spectacular especially the B&W Moray.

Something new I learned: 5667 sometimes goes by "Jack Knife" or "Jack Knife Fish." Apparently when a Juvenile Spotted Drum is tiny it's called be either name. Miguel from CozumelDigitalCreations pointed that out to me.

Spotted Drum and Jackknife are separate species in the Drum family -- different fish. The Spotted Drum always has a black spot on its "nose" while the Jackknife has a dark vertical line or "dash." The Jackknife may have yellow coloring -- the Spotted Drum won't show any yellow -- and its dorsal and anal fins are always held in a stiff "L". Young Spotted Drums continuously wave their dorsal & anal fins and are much harder to photograph because of that!

5667 is a Spotted Drum.

5667 is a Spotted Drum.

Got it. Then would 5677 be a Jack Knife? It was certainly more yellow than white.

Thanks!

-Charles

The problem IDing these babies is that everyone loves to shoot them from the side and the ID marking is on the front!

I'm pretty sure that 5677 is a jackknife because it doesn't have enough "schmutz" on its nose. Here's a photo of an even younger spotted drum -- notice the amount of black mottling on its nose -- the black will consolidate into a very obvious spot as it matures:

Spotted Drum - Juvenile - Equetus punctatus - Bonaire - Photo 14 - Tropical Reefs

Versus this older juvie jackknife, whose nose will be cleaner -- more white or translucent white/clear -- when it's younger. This is a mislabeled photo BTW:

Juvenile Spotted Drum | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

We just kept saying..WoW! Thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom