Nautilus Explorer Guest and Crew Blogs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIVING WITH GREAT WHITE SHARKS AT GUADALUPE ISLAND IS OUR DREAM COME TRUE. THEY CHECK US OUT WITH THEIR DEEP BLUE EYES. AUG 14, 2012

Such Great Animals gentle, calm and curious!!!!! Would love to dive without the Cage sadly it still is the law.

Jan

----

For us a dream came true. We always wanted to dive with the Great White ones. You are really diving together with the animals. It is amazing how shy these giants are. Like small children/animals they are checking out the situation by observing you with their deep blue eyes. If you do not believe it you have to experience it. The best way to do is together with Erich Ritter. Not to forget that we can enjoy this get-together with the nature only because of having the Nautilus Explorer crew being the best crew we ever had as it taking care of everything that allows you to focus on the core ides of the trip!

Jenny and Andreas

Diving with great white sharks at Guadalupe Island is our dream come true. They check us out with their deep blue eyes. Aug 14, 2012 | Nautilus At Sea

THE WATER HAS BEEN SO CALM ON THIS GUADALUPE GREAT WHITE SHARK TRIP THAT IT FEELS LIKE WE ARE STILL TIED UP TO THE DOCK. GUADALUPE. AUG 18, 2012.

We have a group of Germans they are having a what we would say a Big WOW. We have had 5 great white sharks that have been so interactive and have put on a show . They are not the same all the time as one or two go other show up just to take their place. All males the vis was not to good the first day but that didn‚t stop the sharks to be around they got closer and you could get to do a eye to eye with the monsters. The weather have been so calm at Guadalupe Island that I feel like we are at the dock tied up that is how calm it is. The temp is about 18 C to 19 C the vis today have been like 120 plus. So we could see were the sharks are coming from and their movements. Today we had a shark that just pretty much stayed on the surface around the surface cages that was cool to have that show for the ones who were not diving special for the picture time the sun just light up the sharks. Well we have 2 more days to go and we head to dive San Benitos with the kelp diving and the sea lions colony just cant wait for that. Well keep you all updated.

DM Juan

The water has been so calm on this guadalupe great white shark trip that it feels like we are still tied up to the dock. Guadalupe. Aug 18, 2012. | Nautilus At Sea

I HAVE BEEN SUPER EXCITED TO GET BACK AND SEE THE BIG WHITE SHARKS OF GUADALUPE ISLAND AGAIN.. AND THEN.. TOO MANY SHARKS TO COUNT! BETWEEN 10 AND 12 GREAT WHITES!! GUADALUPE ISLAND. AUG 22, 2012.

This has been my first trip of this season back to the mystical island of Guadalupe, 185 nautical miles south-south-west of the port city of Ensenada in Baja California North. I have been super excited to get back here and see the big white sharks again. Despite being in (or on top of) a cage the whole time this is some of my favorite diving to do. My imagination has been conjuring up any number of potential amazing encounters that I might experience on my first trip back and I can honestly say the last three days has easily met or exceeded anything my mind could come up with. The first two days were basically a continuous adrenaline rush with numerous male white sharks around the cages, approaching from above, below and eye level and alternating between slow, lazy passes to quick, excited and close-up encounters. No matter how many times it happens, standing on top of the submersible cage and holding eye contact with a 4.5 meter white shark as it passes only a couple meters away never fails to take my breath away.

For the first half of today the action was fairly mellow, a great white shark here and there showing up, making a few lazy passes and then disappearing until a different shark would swim by 10 minutes later. Slow, steady, but nothing really to get the heart racing. Until this afternoon that is. Slowly the action started to increase, with a couple sharks staying around more and making closer passes. Then suddenly there were too many sharks to count. I don’t know where they all came from, but I was spinning in a circle, looking up and down trying to keep track of them all. I counted 7 within sight at one point and I’m guessing we had 10-12 individual sharks on that one dive. And they were all very curious, coming in close at eye level, making passes from above, charging from beneath. It was one of the most intense white shark dives I’ve experienced in my four seasons here. It was great to be able to share that with our guests this week.

One more day of cage diving tomorrow and then we’re off to the islands of San Benitos and Cedros for some world class kelp and Sea lion diving.

Captain Gordon Kipp

Surface conditions: air temp 25C daytime, 20C nighttime, cloudy in the morning with sunny skies most of the day, light winds and calm seas in the anchorage.

I have been super excited to get back and see the big white sharks of Guadalupe Island again.. and then.. too many sharks to count! Between 10 and 12 great whites!! Guadalupe Island. Aug 22, 2012. | Nautilus At Sea

I have not so far been a guest with nautilus explorer but have an interest in doing so in the future. Please excuse me if this question is not appropriate but it does say "ask a question" at the top.

My only question is - what is the best time of the year to be able to see Hammerhead Sharks in Socorro and other islands of the Revillagigedo archipelago? I have only ever seen one so far and at some distance.

Late April, May and June -
Prime season for all the other animals. This is when divers will likely see large schools of hammerhead sharks. It's the only time of year we see lots of silky sharks. 2 years ago we saw a school of silkies so great in number that we got disorientated and thought it was hammerheads. It's the only time we see dusky sharks. And this is when large numbers of giant tuna come in as well as pilot whales (false killer whales). We have had good luck getting divers in the water with the pilot whales (not all the time but quite often). Whale sharks are also back.

What's the water temp then? Thanks

Will you ever in the future offer a combined trip between Socorro and Guadalupe? I know that they are pretty far apart but you never know if you don't ask :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom